Is the problem with my video card or monitor?

bnalbone

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
My monitor started acting up lately so I decided I needed to buy a new one. I thought this would be a good time to upgrade my monitor to a newer model, bigger in size with a higher max resolution. I use my computer primarily for gaming, though I regularly play only a few games, mostly Civ V, Beyond Earth, and EverQuest 2. My video card is a GeForce GTX 780 and I'm using Windows 7.

I bought Acer monitor model B326HK, which has a max resolution of 3840 x 2160. The picture is very clear and I was initially quite happy with my upgrade operating at max resolution.

Excited with the new look of my monitor, I played EQ2 for a while and was happy with what I was seeing. However, later, when I played both Civ V and Beyond Earth, I began to encounter a problem. On both of these games, when I scroll around on the map, the animation gives me a headache. It's difficult to describe exactly what I'm seeing, but I would describe it as a very rapid choppiness. Additionally, when units move around the screen they seem to do so sluggishly, as if they were moving under water.

Looking into the monitor's settings in Windows, I noted that the monitor was only operating with a refresh rate of 30hz, which seemed odd to me because I don't think I've ever seen anything use that refresh rate before and I began to wonder if my problem was that I bought a cheap monitor. (It cost about $1,000.)

So I bought another monitor, this time a Dell UP3214Q. This monitor was considerably more expensive at about $2,500. Before buying this monitor, I researched the specs and read that it would run at 60hz. I just hooked this monitor up and am encountering the exact same problem. And lo and behold, despite what the specs said, it's running max resolution at 30hz. In reading the documentation that came with the monitor, I am beginning to learn that in order to get it to run max resolution at the advertised rate of 60hz, I need to go through all sorts of hoops and I'm just not qualified for this sort of screwing around with monitors and video cards. I just want to play my games, without having to get an engineering degree first. DP1.2, bla bla bla.

I'm beginning to think now that maybe my problem isn't the monitor but my video card. Can anyone provide any advice that might help me? I'm so frustrated....

Solution
If you are connecting the monitor using HDMI, you will get only 30 Hz. This is a limitation of HDMI 1.4.
You need to use a DisplayPort cable for 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz.
You should also use something like fraps to see if your PC is running at over 30 FPS. If not, you may have to lower graphics settings. 4K is still very taxing on graphics cards.
If you are connecting the monitor using HDMI, you will get only 30 Hz. This is a limitation of HDMI 1.4.
You need to use a DisplayPort cable for 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz.
You should also use something like fraps to see if your PC is running at over 30 FPS. If not, you may have to lower graphics settings. 4K is still very taxing on graphics cards.

Solution