Question Is the processor being 6/12 more important than being quad but having higher frequency?

It's hard to imagine contemplating a 4c/4t CPU at any clock speed for a new gaming rig as of mid- 2017, much less in 2019....(i was surprised to see another useless i3-8350K successor, and, they've surprised me with two of them!)

The 'go-to' for basic upper-mid range gaming rigs lately have been either the 2600/2600X or the 8700K/9700K. (If cost is restricted, most can save $100-$200 on an AMD-based rig, with AMD-based rigs having generally less expensive B450 boards and included CPU coolers...

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
can't compare apple with orange
depend on what you use it for
Depends on what you're using them for. And clockspeed isn't always a straight forward comparison between CPUs.
If gaming it will then depend on the games you want to play. Generally speaking for pure fps output Intel holds the advantage because of its IPC. But more modern titles are taking advantage of more cores and threads.

I don't know guys. I know you cant put all your eggs in one basket when looking at benchmarks but that video I posted is pretty much a slam dunk answer to the OP's i3 8350k vs 2600 question. The 2600 is even beating it in E-sports games and the minimums are better across the board. You'd have to step it up a 9600k or the new 9600 to see enough IPC and clock speed advantage to beat the 2600. The 9400f trades blows with an overclocked 2600. 4c4t is a stupid buy for gaming in 2019. I think buying 6c6t in 2019 is short sighted as well.

but that video I posted is pretty much a slam dunk answer
That video you posted is all over the place,it has a 23% overclock on the i3 but then some games have like only 5% gain others have around 20 and one has 30% gain from 23% overclock...
The results are just impossible,either you have 23% overclock or you don't and if you have but don't get the FPS improvement it's pretty clear that it's not due to the CPU anymore but something else that is messed up.

And even then the video shows that the i3 hits pretty much the same FPS as the 2600 in some of the games which in itself is what the question of the OP is,in some others it hits the same FPS when overclocked. (and in others the results are very dubious)

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
That video you posted is all over the place,it has a 23% overclock on the i3 but then some games have like only 5% gain others have around 20 and one has 30% gain from 23% overclock...
The results are just impossible,either you have 23% overclock or you don't and if you have but don't get the FPS improvement it's pretty clear that it's not due to the CPU anymore but something else that is messed up.

And even then the video shows that the i3 hits pretty much the same FPS as the 2600 in some of the games which in itself is what the question of the OP is,in some others it hits the same FPS when overclocked. (and in others the results are very dubious)

LOL...WTF are you talking about? If you think that's how FPS scales between different games you are confused. The 1080 might have been a bit of a bottleneck in some scenarios but anything better would have been a ridiculous pairing for anyone actually considering this choice. Sure the 8350k oc beat the 2600 oc in a few games....barely. The arguably more important 1% lows were also terrible in some of those games. The 8350k basically matched or very slightly beat it in FPS averages in a handful of games and got slayed in FPS average in everything else. It's 1% lows were abysmal in comparison pretty much across the board.

Dude.....Championing this CPU is ridiculous. At least cheerlead for the hex core i5's. You can at least make a reasonable argument for those SKU's.

Reactions: Serisly

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
There may be some debate between Intel vs AMD in general, but I don't think many people would recommend an i3.

Only way the i3 would have a major single threaded advantage is if you get an unlocked K model (which cost more), and then you have to spend extra on a Z motherboard and cooler. Doesn't make sense spending all that extra money to overclock a budget CPU when you could just get a better CPU for the same price or less.

Last edited:

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
LOL...WTF are you talking about? If you think that's how FPS scales between different games you are confused. The 1080 might have been a bit of a bottleneck in some scenarios but anything better would have been a ridiculous pairing for anyone actually considering this choice. Sure the 8350k oc beat the 2600 oc in a few games....barely. The arguably more important 1% lows were also terrible in some of those games. The 8350k basically matched or very slightly beat it in FPS averages in a handful of games and got slayed in FPS average in everything else. It's 1% lows were abysmal in comparison pretty much across the board.

Dude.....Championing this CPU is ridiculous. At least cheerlead for the hex core i5's. You can at least make a reasonable argument for those SKU's.

So would that apply to the new ryzen 3300/x vs the intel core i3 9350 stuffs too? sorry im not very knowledgeable about this stuff so I kinda cant decide if the video parallels the examples I've given or not.

There may be some debate between Intel vs AMD in general, but I don't think many people would recommend an i3.

Yeah but would you recommend that i3 above vs the new ryzen 3s zen 2? budget is limited like you said but I still wanna know if the i3 is actually better and I'm making a sacrifice here by getting the cheaper new ryzen 3s

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah but would you recommend that i3 above vs the new ryzen 3s zen 2? budget is limited like you said but I still wanna know if the i3 is actually better and I'm making a sacrifice here by getting the cheaper new ryzen 3s
Which i3? You linked to the whole 9th gen lineup, some of which aren't even available yet I believe.

Edit: Probably best to just state your budget and what country you're in so people can tell you your best option.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
Which i3? You linked to the whole 9th gen lineup, some of which aren't even available yet I believe.

Edit: Probably best to just state your budget and what country you're in so people can tell you your best option.

I'll ship it internationally anyway so country doesn't matter. And while I did mention my budget I dont mean to include it in the argument. I want to know which one you would recommend performance wise. We already know which one is better if it's about value. Also I linked the whole 9th gen lineup bc I'm asking whether any of them would be better than the Ryzen 3s zen 2 given they almost all have higher clock speeds (but the ryzen has more cores and threads). But in my last reply I did mention the i3 9350 because it seemed like the best on in the lineup

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
would just wait for the review. or if you can't wait, just buy the i3

That's what I plan to do but if an answer could be given now on which one is theoretically better given the statistics then that would help bc then maybe I'll be able to save up more for the intel instead. I'm getting the PC in July anyway so this is all preparation not me making a decision.

i3 is for super budget, why even contemplate it? It doesn't matter what it really is, because an i3 will suck against any Ryzen 5 chip. They are not even in the same league, hence one is i3 and one is r5.
You could compare i3 with Ryzen 3, and still Ryzen 3 is generally better.

That's what I plan to do but if an answer could be given now on which one is theoretically better given the statistics then that would help bc then maybe I'll be able to save up more for the intel instead. I'm getting the PC in July anyway so this is all preparation not me making a decision.
You are asking us to guess on how good a Ryzen 3000 will be, when no one even knows what the specs are. My money is that any Ryzen 3000 will slaughter an Intel i3 - That you can take to the bank.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I'll ship it internationally anyway so country doesn't matter. And while I did mention my budget I dont mean to include it in the argument. I want to know which one you would recommend performance wise. We already know which one is better if it's about value. Also I linked the whole 9th gen lineup bc I'm asking whether any of them would be better than the Ryzen 3s zen 2 given they almost all have higher clock speeds (but the ryzen has more cores and threads). But in my last reply I did mention the i3 9350 because it seemed like the best on in the lineup
Oops, I had missed that you're asking about Zen 2 Ryzen 3s. As said above, no one knows what those will perform like. However, one can assume they'll offer the same or better performance per dollar compared to current Ryzen CPUs. And you can already get something like a Ryzen 2600X for less than the MSRP of that i3. So no, I would not recommend an i3.

But I don't really see any point in having this discussion now, given that by the time you want to build your PC Ryzen 3K will be out and you can know for sure how it compares to 9th gen i3s rather than guessing.

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
i3 is for super budget, why even contemplate it? It doesn't matter what it really is, because an i3 will suck against any Ryzen 5 chip. They are not even in the same league, hence one is i3 and one is r5.
You could compare i3 with Ryzen 3, and still Ryzen 3 is generally better.

I appreciate the opinion thanks. I'll keep in mind. So far opinions have been more towards the Ryzen 3 than the i3 I guess and then makes me lowkey glad. Also I didn't compare the i3 to a Ryzen 5 but the new Ryzen 3 that got leaked.

You are asking us to guess on how good a Ryzen 3000 will be, when no one even knows what the specs are. My money is that any Ryzen 3000 will slaughter an Intel i3 - That you can take to the bank.

Aren't the specs in the link above? Unless there is more to a CPU than clock speed and cores/threads. In that case I'm sorry, my question may have been redundant then.

Last edited:

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
Oops, I had missed that you're asking about Zen 2 Ryzen 3s. As said above, no one knows what those will perform like. However, one can assume they'll offer the same or better performance per dollar compared to current Ryzen CPUs. And you can already get something like a Ryzen 2600X for less than the MSRP of that i3. So no, I would not recommend and i3.

Thanks for your insight too. It really helps because I was under the impression clock speeds matter the most and the numbers on the i3 9th generation link above looked pretty high.

Last edited:

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
But I don't really see any point in having this discussion now, given that by the time you want to build your PC Ryzen 3K will be out and you can know for sure how it compares to 9th gen i3s rather than guessing.

Like I said in a different reply but not to you it's to make sure to save up properly since I'm building my PC in July eitherway. If I end up deciding to get the intel above I'll have to work a bit harder to save up but if it's the Ryzen then not so much. I'm just preparing that's all.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Like I said in a different reply but not to you it's to make sure to save up properly since I'm building my PC in July eitherway. If I end up deciding to get the intel above I'll have to work a bit harder to save up but if it's the Ryzen then not so much. I'm just preparing that's all.
But we don't know what the Ryzen 3s will cost. Or even what the actual street price of the 9th gen i3s will be (won't necessarily be MSRP).