[SOLVED] is the PSU grinding noise dangerous ?

koke0070

Prominent
May 5, 2020
When the PSU fan oil dry out, it start to make some loud grinding noise. I had already replaced my PC PSUs three times before because of this issue. But this time i don't have money for a new PSU, so i want to know if is dangerous or not to let the PSU making grinding noises.

Anyone here who had this problem but didn't replace the PSU for some time ?

Solution
It might be. If the fan is making a grinding noise it cannot be spinning at the correct speed and therefore there could be increased risk of the psu overheating. If you have had 3 all I can say is buy a good quality psu and stop buying junk.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
When the PSU fan oil dry out, it start to make some loud grinding noise. I had already replaced my PC PSUs three times before because of this issue. But this time i don't have money for a new PSU, so i want to know if is dangerous or not to let the PSU making grinding noises.

Anyone here who had this problem but didn't replace the PSU for some time ?

Over what period of time did you have three and now four PSUs fail? Are we talking 20 years? 1?

By the time you hear grinding, it's loo late to do anything about it since the bearings are already damaged. If your fans stops moving, if you have a cheap, junky PSU -- and if you're losing this many fans, it seems likely -- a fire can very easily start as there's a good chance that over-temperature protection is missing, fake, or poorly implemented.

Reactions: koke0070

koke0070

Prominent
May 5, 2020
Over what period of time did you have three and now four PSUs fail? Are we talking 20 years? 1?

By the time you hear grinding, it's loo late to do anything about it since the bearings are already damaged. If your fans stops moving, if you have a cheap, junky PSU -- and if you're losing this many fans, it seems likely -- a fire can very easily start as there's a good chance that over-temperature protection is missing, fake, or poorly implemented.

Each PSU lasted around 3 or 2 years, my PC is 13 years old. They didn't fail though, they just made noise and i thought they're dying. This video here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqwgUtcXjPM

is exactly the same noise, and always at the startup.

Last edited: