Question Is the PSU the issue? - Performance questions with cheap Apevia PSU

JackieLombardi

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Hello! I will post my specs first and then go over my issue.

i5 13500
Vetroo V5
ASRock B760 Pro RS/D4 ATX
XPOWER Turbine RGB 32 GB
Silicon Power A60 1TB (x2)
AsRock 5500xt 4gb (placeholder card, will get a 6750 asap)
Apevia SPIRIT 600w
Acer Nitro KG241Y S
DELL P2419H

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wanna start by saying that I know that you should never cheap out on the PSU, but this Apevia unit is the best I can do at this particular moment. I'm having a problem in a dual monitor setup where whenever I enable 144hz or 165hz for my Acer monitor, the Dell monitor starts having performance issues. (Slightly, but noticiably more laggy performance generally on the Dell monitor, videos freezing and sometimes even crashes at 165hz if I watch a youtube video at fullscreen on my Acer monitor.) Also, my gaming performance isn't as good as it should be. I'm pretty sure the GPU is doing it's job properly - i play competitive games at low resolutions so I can get really good frames out of my 5500xt on games like Apex and CoD and the like, but there's also a slight choppiness in my aim sometimes which is pretty annoying. I don't wanna say "stuttering" but it's the closest descriptor I have for it.

My question is, could it be that the 600w PSU isn't enough power for my setup, or that the quality of the PSU is so bad that the power somehow isn't good enough for the system? I've reinstalled/uninstalled my drivers many times over, and sometimes I can get the performance I want but most of the time it's just slightly underperforming in a noticible way, and it's annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/
This is why I have 2 1300 Watt PSUs cuz power will always be an issue somehow. With that said by me, the link above is one of many PSU calcs that determines the proper PSU you'd need to run specific periphs. What it doesn't descript is displays and the likes of it so when I marked off your specs it said that base reqs are at least 400-500 Watts with a 550-600 Watt PSU. This is excluding dual displays and the likes. Now adding on those I'd say you'd need AT LEAST in my head 700 - 750 Watts of power to run at those higher RFRs depending on throughputs and everything..............................

Lutfij

Titan
Apevia SPIRIT 600w
The wattage of the unit isn't the only thing you look at when you purchase/look into a PSU. You look into the brand and the internals. Reliably built units tend to last longer and give you a peace of mind in the long run.

I know that you should never cheap out on the PSU, but this Apevia unit is the best I can do at this particular moment.
You spent a good chunk of money buying the parts in your build, could've spent a little more to help protect the rest of your investments. Unless you're looking for an excuse to buy another system, sooner than later.

Is the PSU the issue?
You might want to source(borrow, not buy) a PSU from a friend or neighbor who owns a reliably built PSU and has at least 650W of power at the entire system's disposal to see if the issue persists.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your case + your ambient room air temps + the temps of your parts when under load and idle.

Reactions: Order 66

NanoSuit3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2017
This is why I have 2 1300 Watt PSUs cuz power will always be an issue somehow. With that said by me, the link above is one of many PSU calcs that determines the proper PSU you'd need to run specific periphs. What it doesn't descript is displays and the likes of it so when I marked off your specs it said that base reqs are at least 400-500 Watts with a 550-600 Watt PSU. This is excluding dual displays and the likes. Now adding on those I'd say you'd need AT LEAST in my head 700 - 750 Watts of power to run at those higher RFRs depending on throughputs and everything..............................

Reactions: JackieLombardi
Solution

JackieLombardi

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
The wattage of the unit isn't the only thing you look at when you purchase/look into a PSU. You look into the brand and the internals.
I already understand this which is why I made it a point to say that the Apevia unit is all I can do right now
You spent a good chunk of money buying the parts in your build, could've spent a little more to help protect the rest of your investments.
This is unnecessarily condecending - if my financial situation would have allowed for it I obviously would have.
You forgot to mention the make and model of your case + your ambient room air temps + the temps of your parts when under load and idle.
My case is the Vetroo AL600, a total of 7 fans including the V5 box cooler. Ambient air temps hover between 68F - 80F

CPU temps - idle: 32c - 37c Load: 65c - 78c
GPU temps - idle: 49c - 54c Load: 70c - 85c

JackieLombardi

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Thank you for your response. What was throwing me off is that PCPartPicker said about my original build that it was going to consume around 480 watts of power, so initially i got a 550 watt PSU and realized that that wasn't enough and a couple weeks ago was able to get this 600 watt one...So you're saying the next time I can get a PSU 750 watts should be the play? (Also it'll be named brand, most likely MSI)

NanoSuit3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2017
PSUs are basically the top priority in my PC building books cuz you'll never know how much actual power a build will draw. So to be on the safest of safe sides get a PSU that's at least 40% more power than the required amount. Say if it's 750 Watts required; get a 1000 Watt PSU. Kinda simple if you put it plainly & if you have enough income to spend on it.................................

Reactions: JackieLombardi