Is the R9 285 too much for the FX 6350 ?

AMDFTW11

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Hello!
I am planning on making a Gamimg AMD build, and I don't know if the R9 285 is too powerful for the FX 6350 3.9GHz with stock cooling. I would like to know if ill had to overclock the CPU or not, so please let me know. I am planning on playing games at 1080p max

Solution
An FX 6350 will handle any card that a 8350 can handle. It's the same cpu with 2 cores disabled at factory. Where the 6 series cpus run short is in games that can and do have a need for multiple core processing, like BF4 multi-player, or mmorpg's. For single thread heavy games like skyrim that only use 1-3 cores, the 6350 will equal the 8350 all day long, and an fx6300 actually gets better results in many.

AMD is typically weak in single core performance vrs Intel cpu's, and the recommended help for this is OC. It will help.

One other thing to consider is Mantle. This is AMD's api, their version of directX. In any game that does have Mantle optimization, this is a big help on graphics quality and performance. Unfortunately, it...

InfernalSurge

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
It shouldn't bottleneck too hard, although I'd get an aftermarket CPU cooler like the Hyper 212 and overlock the FX-6350. As for GPU, I can't see why one would get the R9 285 since the R9 380 is out. The 380 is essentially the same card with better thermals and is slightly faster.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
An FX 6350 will handle any card that a 8350 can handle. It's the same cpu with 2 cores disabled at factory. Where the 6 series cpus run short is in games that can and do have a need for multiple core processing, like BF4 multi-player, or mmorpg's. For single thread heavy games like skyrim that only use 1-3 cores, the 6350 will equal the 8350 all day long, and an fx6300 actually gets better results in many.

AMD is typically weak in single core performance vrs Intel cpu's, and the recommended help for this is OC. It will help.

One other thing to consider is Mantle. This is AMD's api, their version of directX. In any game that does have Mantle optimization, this is a big help on graphics quality and performance. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on 2Gb gpus, they just don't have the memory space for it as it is all software driven. The r9 285 is supposed to be the replacement for the aging r9 280, but where the r9 280 actually has 3Gb of Gddr5 vram, the r9 285 only has 2Gb, so is not able to utilize Mantle. That's going to hurt some in many of the more graphically intense popular games.

I would suggest either a r9 280, r9 280x, r9 290 if you want to stick with AMD, or a gtx960 or gtx970.

The r9 285 is a decent card, but at the end of the day it's results are all show and no go.

Solution