is the r9 390 worth it over the r9 290 in this case?

DieEne

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2015
So i am going to build my first gaming pc real soon. I am currently using a laptop with a 2nd screen.

I was going to get the r9 390 gpu, but my build does cost around 850 euro, and when i have sold my laptop thats kind of how mutch i money would have. but i am using a laptop right now with a HP w19b screen as 2nd screen. i got it from my grandpa when i bought a laptop ;p. so it's pritty old. So i was thinking to maybe buy the r9 290 and not the r9 390 so i would have 70 more left over to buy a new pc (i would just borrow some money from my parents to buy a good screen around 150 euro)

so do you guys think it would be smarter to buy the cheaper gpu and buy a new screen or would i just game on the old hp w19b screen?

thnx

bennie101

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
The r 290 is a great card I own 2 of them the r 390 is just a tad faster not a lot but if you want really playable fps the r 290 wont let you down and you can use the other money towards other hardware..

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
I would say yes, only for the increase in VRAM. As games textures continue to grow and evolve, and the the introduction of DX12 and the better utilization of hardware performance. Dedicated video RAM is going to become more of a bottle neck for more users in the future. Textures are requiring more and more, especially at higher resolutions. If you can swing it. Get the 390 for the RAM increases.

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
my money would be on the cheaper GPU. it rarely pays to get a tech when it first comes out. The 290 is a good line of cards that can handle plenty. 4GB of VRAM in a lot especially if you are not recording and streaming your game sessions, and even then its easily possible as most of your Lets play channels on Youtube are using a 290(or its NVidia equivalent) or less.

wait about 2 years then look at the 390, it will still be as fast as it is today, just cheaper.