Is the RAM memory of my pc the one that comes with the CPU?

Solution
Yea no CPU don't have Ram they have Cashe. Lots of time you will see like Intel i3 With 4MB L3 Cashe THAT is the ram on the CPU but that is NOT upgradable or chooseable. and NEVER more than a few MB. I think the most i have ever seen on a CPU is like 32 but thats on like 12 Core Xeon CPU's. The highest end i7 only has 15. and they are in Megabytes not Gigabits. And 8GB of ram is a very nice amount. 4GB is like the new standard.

blue_sTyl3

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

but isn't that the processor ram?
the thing is, i'm planning on buying a new pc and i'm getting intel i5-3570k and it has 4gb ram, and i think i'm getting asrock z77 pro3 as well,
so then the ram of the pc would be 4 gb right?

Yea no CPU don't have Ram they have Cashe. Lots of time you will see like Intel i3 With 4MB L3 Cashe THAT is the ram on the CPU but that is NOT upgradable or chooseable. and NEVER more than a few MB. I think the most i have ever seen on a CPU is like 32 but thats on like 12 Core Xeon CPU's. The highest end i7 only has 15. and they are in Megabytes not Gigabits. And 8GB of ram is a very nice amount. 4GB is like the new standard.

Solution

blue_sTyl3

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

thanks
anyway, if i want to build a pc, do i buy the RAM apart from the cpu, like does the RAM memory have different brands and stuff? or the pc's RAM is the one in the processor?

Oh forget this whole PC ram in the processor stuff because that really isn't even called ram thats Cashe not ram. So get that striaght. And yes when you by a motherboard you have to buy ram for it. There are all kind of brands. Me i go with GSkill because they are very reliable. have bought dozens of sticks of ram of this brand and out of like 50 sicks one went bad but they have lifetime warranties.

When you buy a motherboard it will tell what kind of ram it suppots. So like DDR3-1866. The 1866 is the speed of the fastest ram it can take. It can take any speed or DDR3 that is that speed or lower. Now there is DDR DDR2 and DDR3. Any PC from the past like 4 years will most likely be DDR3. There are a lot of different brands. OCZ, Crucial, Kingston, GSKill, Corsair ect. Again i'm a big GSkill fan just because their product seems to work the longest and be the most compatible.