Is the registry cleaner in Ccleaner harmful to an SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiBy

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
apparently cleaning is just fine but people seem to think the registry cleaner is bad while others say it is good. Wipe free space is bad though right because that is pointlessly writing the ssd?

Solution

"registry cleaners" are not bad for an SSD, they are just generally bad overall.
The other parts of CCleaner...fine.

But I stay away from any and all "registry cleaners".

'Wipe free space'? Mostly useless for an SSD. That is what its TRIM function does.

USAFRet

Titan

"registry cleaners" are not bad for an SSD, they are just generally bad overall.
The other parts of CCleaner...fine.

But I stay away from any and all "registry cleaners".

'Wipe free space'? Mostly useless for an SSD. That is what its TRIM function does.

Solution

DanielSpaending

Reputable
Mar 17, 2016
The CCleaner registry cleaner doesn't really free up space on your PC, and doesn't write or erase much on your SSD. It is used to cleaning up your Registry, and supposedly makes your PC run faster by being more efficient. I have used it many times, but haven't noticed any differences, neither have I had any bad experiences, so use it if you think it works I guess. Just remember to make a backup of the database.

USAFRet

Titan

While I've not used the reg cleaner in CCleaner, I have had bad experiences with other tools that purport to 'clean' the registry.

And seeing as an Export of the entire Registry is ~511MB on my system (Win 10 Pro), I question saving 500MB on a daily basis.
Other things that CCleaner does? Sure. The Registry? No.

That's the cleaning part. No, I don't save that much with the registry cleaner alone.

With Ccleaner, the registry changes it makes are about 1K in size as it only saves the changes it makes for the backup. :) I don't see much of a speed change as I am using an M2 drive with 32GB ram. I used to notice Windows 7 used to slow down as the registry got more and more entries. I haven't noticed my system slowing down after 5 yrs without a reinstall using Ccleaner.

Now to the OP, yeah, don't run the wipe free space unless you are VERY security conscious as it wastes write cycles on an SSD.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

+1 for this.
I never seen the use for one for a SSD.
I also never use one for even a HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.