[SOLVED] is the RTX 2070 super a substitute for the GTX 1080?

Aug 23, 2019
so a few years back i got an oculus ready pc as a bundle. The graphics card crapped out a few months ago and im having trouble finding a new replacement card that will fit because the case is very tightly compact. As they dont make the exact graphics card I had. Is the GeForce RTX 2070 super a viable replacement for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB that will work with my build?

heres a link to the PC with all the specs:

let me know!

Solution
and both of these cards will fit in my case and with with my motherboard and power supply? the PC link has all that info
Hmm.. the power supply doesn't seem to be up to the task. It supports 180W for the CPU and 230W for the GPU. The GTX 1080 is 180W; and the 2070 Super is 215W and the 5700 XT is 225W. That's cutting it a little close for either card IMO.

As far as them fitting in your case, I have no idea. You might have to get a measuring stick/tape and have a look inside the case yourself and compare to the card dimensions. I think you will have to find a different card.

The RTX 2070 (non-Super) is only 175W-185W (depending on the model) and would work if it fits in your case.

The RX 5700 (non-XT) is 180W for the...
Aug 23, 2019
If it will fit, yeah. It's faster than the 1080.

However, was your 1080 a blower style card?

I'd honestly recommend the RT 5700 XT. It gives 2070-like performance at a much better price and similar TDP. Unless you want ray-tracing.. then just get the 2070.
im pretty sure it was a blower style? im just looking for a good replacement that can easily run VR and high performance games so im open to suggestions.

Aug 23, 2019
The 5700 XT is a great card, especially for the money. It is faster than a GTX 1080, more on par with the 2070 Super for $100 less. But with Nvidia you do get ray-tracing in those games that support it.
and both of these cards will fit in my case and with with my motherboard and power supply? the PC link has all that info

Hmm.. the power supply doesn't seem to be up to the task. It supports 180W for the CPU and 230W for the GPU. The GTX 1080 is 180W; and the 2070 Super is 215W and the 5700 XT is 225W. That's cutting it a little close for either card IMO.

As far as them fitting in your case, I have no idea. You might have to get a measuring stick/tape and have a look inside the case yourself and compare to the card dimensions. I think you will have to find a different card.

The RTX 2070 (non-Super) is only 175W-185W (depending on the model) and would work if it fits in your case.

The RX 5700 (non-XT) is 180W for the reference model. It will be almost, but not quite as fast as the RTX 2070 non-Super. Costs less too though.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS