Question Is the "RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC" quieter than the "RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC"?

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Hi there,

I'm in the process of purchasing components for a new Ryzen 7 3700x based rig that has a X570 TUF motherboard.

I was hoping to purchase a RTX 2070 Super graphics card but I'm a bit confused with the variants of this card that's on offer on Amazon.
I've read that the "Gaming OC" version has a bigger and better cooler than the "Windforce OC". I've also read that the "Gaming OC" is supposed to be quieter than the other one? Is this information correct?

If the "Gaming OC" version is thicker than the other variant will I still be able to fit my PCI-E Wifi card in the slot that sits next to the PCI-E slot for the graphics card on my X570 TUF motherboard?

Any helpful information or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Im guessing this gaming oc version you are talking about is the gigabyte's model which runs cool and quiet.
I'd go with that one for sure.

You can still put your WiFi card in the lower pcie express slot if you cannot put it right under the card if it appears to cover the first port.

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Yep, Windforce models are really crap especially the 2080Ti model.

Obviously Windforce is a entry model card, but tbh not sure why Gigabyte made it soo crap.. cos other entry model are card are much better overall, i.e. larger/heavier heatsink and also runs bit quieter and cooler than Windforce.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Im guessing this gaming oc version you are talking about is the gigabyte's model which runs cool and quiet.
I'd go with that one for sure.

You can still put your WiFi card in the lower pcie express slot if you cannot put it right under the card if it appears to cover the first port.
This is the version I am talking about: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WZ6FWPK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1

I didn't have a clue about the difference between the "Windforce" or the "Gaming OC" version. I was about to purchase the Windforce version...

So whenever I see the word "Windforce" I should think "Entry Level model" basically?

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019

Obviously Windforce is a entry model card, but tbh not sure why Gigabyte made it soo crap.. cos other entry model are card are much better overall, i.e. larger/heavier heatsink and also runs bit quieter and cooler than Windforce.
Okay good to know. Is there a version of the RTX 2070 that is not sold by Gigabyte that is very silent?

This is the version I am talking about: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WZ6FWPK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1

I didn't have a clue about the difference between the "Windforce" or the "Gaming OC" version. I was about to purchase the Windforce version...

So whenever I see the word "Windforce" I should think "Entry Level model" basically?

Yep, thats the one i was talking about. Based on reviews it seems like a good pick.

Now as you might have guessed i'd recommend for you to take a look at RX5700XT's as they are a very solid options aswell.

EDIT:
If you plan on going with an RX 5700 XT i'd recommend for you to buy the Red DEVIL make sure its the red devil and not the red dragon, people sometimes get those 2 mixed up when buying one.

Last edited:
Reactions: realghostbuster

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Yep, thats the one i was talking about. Based on reviews it seems like a good pick.

Now as you might have guessed i'd recommend for you to take a look at RX5700XT's as they are a very solid options aswell.

EDIT:
If you plan on going with an RX 5700 XT i'd recommend for you to buy the Red DEVIL make sure its the red devil and not the red dragon, people sometimes get those 2 mixed up when buying one.

I've never heard about the RX 5700XT. On Amazon it's more than 100 sterling pounds(110 Euros) cheaper than the RTX 2070 Super...

I've just glanced at a few comparison videos between the two cards on Youtube. The RX 5700XT always seems to be a bit behind is terms of FPS but I've read that with updates the card competes readily with the 2070 Super. Is this correct?

Have you had experience with these cards? Do you see much of a difference between either of them?

I've never heard about the RX 5700XT. On Amazon it's more than 100 sterling pounds(110 Euros) cheaper than the RTX 2070 Super...

I've just glanced at a few comparison videos between the two cards on Youtube. The RX 5700XT always seems to be a bit behind is terms of FPS but I've read that with updates the card competes readily with the 2070 Super. Is this correct?

Have you had experience with these cards? Do you see much of a difference between either of them?

There is little to none fps difference between these cards as of right now and knowing amd, the performance and stability will only get better over time.

This can be proven by looking at the Vega 64 2 years ago and the vega 64 now.

AMD always makes their cards better with time, its called the Fine Wine technology.

Not quite sure if this is a major issue anymore with some of the rx5700 cards but some cards dont work too well with newest drivers or older. Some people have issues with the drivers and some people have none but these issues have been fixed for the most part from what ive heard.

And no, i wouldnt say there isnt much of an performance gap between the two, sometimes the rtx2070s wins and sometimes they dont really dependant on how a certain game is optimitzed though. Maybe a 2-3% fps fluctuation between different games when comparing these two cards.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
There is little to none fps difference between these cards as of right now and knowing amd, the performance and stability will only get better over time.

This can be proven by looking at the Vega 64 2 years ago and the vega 64 now.

AMD always makes their cards better with time, its called the Fine Wine technology.

Not quite sure if this is a major issue anymore with some of the rx5700 cards but some cards dont work too well with newest drivers or older. Some people have issues with the drivers and some people have none but these issues have been fixed for the most part from what ive heard.

And no, i wouldnt say there isnt much of an performance gap between the two, sometimes the rtx2070s wins and sometimes they dont really dependant on how a certain game is optimitzed though. Maybe a 2-3% fps fluctuation between different games when comparing these two cards.
Hmmm.......You may have have converted me! You mentioned to get the Red Devil version and not the Red Dragon. Is the PowerColor brand a good choice? I found the Red Devil on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerColor...d=1&keywords=RX+5700+XT&qid=1591895720&sr=8-5

Can I ask why is the Red Devil version preferable over the Red Dragon?

Hmmm.......You may have have converted me! You mentioned to get the Red Devil version and not the Red Dragon. Is the PowerColor brand a good choice? I found the Red Devil on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerColor...d=1&keywords=RX+5700+XT&qid=1591895720&sr=8-5

Can I ask why is the Red Devil version preferable over the Red Dragon?

The red dragon does not run as quiet as the red devil does nor does it run as cool as the red devil does. Simply because the red dragon is a more compact card, which has a x2 fan setup vs the triple fan setup the red devil offers.

In my own personal opinion the red dragon looks much better than the red devil aswell.
Also red devil has better fps out of the box due to the higher base and boost clock it offers. However they can be OC'd to an identical performance most of the time.

TLDR; Better cooling than the red dragon has.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
The red dragon does not run as quiet as the red devil does nor does it run as cool as the red devil does. Simply because the red dragon is a more compact card, which has a x2 fan setup vs the triple fan setup the red devil offers.

In my own personal opinion the red dragon looks much better than the red devil aswell.
Also red devil has better fps out of the box due to the higher base and boost clock it offers. However they can be OC'd to an identical performance most of the time.

TLDR; Better cooling than the red dragon has.
I'm actually a short while away from purchasing the Red Devil based on the information you've given me and some of the videos that I've watched(I didn't even know they existed until an hour ago!). I'm just wondering if the RX5700XT are cheaper and comparable in performance to the RTX 2070 Supers...why do people buy the 2070 Supers in the first place? There must be a reason?

I'm actually a short while away from purchasing the Red Devil based on the information you've given me and some of the videos that I've watched(I didn't even know they existed until an hour ago!). I'm just wondering if the RX5700XT are cheaper and comparable in performance to the RTX 2070 Supers...why do people buy the 2070 Supers in the first place? There must be a reason?

The reasoning behind buying RTX's other than RX cards is really dumb. Its mainly that AMD has made really bad video cards back in the day and everyone is now so keen on nvidia that they cannot let go of the brand no matter what amd does (as we all saw with the ryzens)

So, the main reason is that NVIDIA is more a popular brand when it comes to gpus and they really used to dominate the gpu market for a long time untill the launch of the vega cards and the RX lineup.

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Okay good to know. Is there a version of the RTX 2070 that is not sold by Gigabyte that is very silent?
Yep Aorus model should run very quite, another advantage of Aorus model = you get extra 1 year warranty if you register the card online within 30 days.
I think 2080Ti Aorus is the sexiest looking card, but unfortunately overall cooling is bit inferior compared to MSI Gaming X/Z or Asus Strix models.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
The reasoning behind buying RTX's other than RX cards is really dumb. Its mainly that AMD has made really bad video cards back in the day and everyone is now so keen on nvidia that they cannot let go of the brand no matter what amd does (as we all saw with the ryzens)

So, the main reason is that NVIDIA is more a popular brand when it comes to gpus and they really used to dominate the gpu market for a long time untill the launch of the vega cards and the RX lineup.
I bought the RX5700XT Red Devil yesterday. Should be here in a week along with the other components for my new rig. I'm happy with the purchase however I've just discovered that AMD cards don't perform very well with Nintendo emulators such as CEMU and Citra because AMD GPU's don't have good OpenGL drivers or something? Or they don't utilize OpenGL very well...

I know that CEMU can be played fine with an AMD GPU by using Vulkan drivers instead of OpenGL but Citra only uses OpenGL unfortunately. I've read that Citra developers have no intention of making the emulator run with Vulkan. This is a bit disappointing as I was hoping to play Ocarina Of Time on the Citra emulator but I'm not sure if the RX5700XT will be able to...

I'm just wondering do you think that these driver issues will be eventually fixed by AMD in the future?

Last edited:

roczi

Reputable
Jun 12, 2020
I have just done a TON of research because I am upgrading my pc and coincidentally also considering between 5700 XT and 2070 Super.

Gigabyte themselves have EIGHT VERSIONS of the 2070 Super card. it is super confusing. and if you go and compare all the other brand whom ALSO has multiple versions, you will go bonkers.

for anyone interested, here are the different models :

AORUS GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ 8G (rev. 1.0/1.1)
GV-N207SAORUS-8GC

GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ GAMING OC WHITE 8G
GV-N207SGAMINGOC WHITE-8GC

GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ GAMING OC 3X WHITE 8G (rev. 1.0/1.1)
GV-N207SGAMINGOC WHITE-8GD

GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ GAMING OC 3X 8G (rev. 1.0/1.1)
GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GD

GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ GAMING OC 8G
GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GC

GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ WINDFORCE OC 3X 8G (rev. 1.0/1.1)
GV-N207SWF3OC-8GD

GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ WINDFORCE 3X 8G
GV-N207SWF3-8GD

GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ WINDFORCE OC 8G
GV-N207SWF3OC-8GC

these are all copied from gigabyte website.

Don't confuse the 3X brand name with the '3X windforce' fans that they mention in their product title! 3X is part of the brand name too aside from having 3 fans.

Similarly, don't confuse the WINDFORCE brand name with the '3X windforce' fans that they use in their product title to say there are 3 fans.

Aside from clock speeds, rtx ops and minor differences which you can compare at gigabyte website. here are the other differences

• 3X is the cheaper version, no usb-c
  • non-3X is more expensive, with usb-c
  • WINDFORCE is the cheapest entry and slower version than Gaming, the next tier
  • OC means overclocked, faster, more expensive than non-OC.
  • Gaming versions only comes with OC.
  • White is just white color, some retailer charge higher.
  • Gaming OC has larger fans than windforce. And larger board (i think)
  • I read about either all of them or some being able to use water cooling but i am not interested in that so didn't read further.
  • Aorus only has 1 version and is the most expensive, highest clock with usb-c and RGB and more HDMI ports.
I know you have already bought your 5700 XT, i just want to share what i have read. there are a lot more customers complaining about 5700 XT than 2070 Super.

All the issues are, black screens, freezing immediately or after a 1 hr, few hrs, etc. all difference scenarios.

most of them have to DDU to the driver that doesn't crash their system or games. they have to spend a lot of time debugging, trial and error. also temperatures goes up as high as 110 degrees. and AMD said this is normal for pushing the performance. hence it produces a lot of heat and is also very loud due to the fans revving up.

this is what made me hesitant to choose 5700 XT. although it is much cheaper. so disappointed... because I did a lot of checks on 5700 XT reviews, and they are all praises. especially the Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse, but most complaining users are using this brand and model....

I think why these could happen is people mixing new and old hardware (from upgrading parts) and there are incompatibilities. perhaps power issues too from too much heat generated, case cooling not good enough, and also AMD driver issues had caused a lot of problems for many people. with the different drivers solving different issues, every fix may have introduced new bugs. many have to roll back each version until their system is stable. which sounds quite scary to be honest. lots of wasted time re configuring game profiles. and some of them reinstall windows too.

oh well. wish you all the best. some people has no issues at all. hopefully that goes for you too.

Last edited:

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
I have just done a TON of research because I am upgrading my pc and coincidentally also considering between 5700 XT and 2070 Super.

Gigabyte themselves have EIGHT VERSIONS of the 2070 Super card. it is super confusing. and if you go and compare all the other brand whom ALSO has multiple versions, you will go bonkers.

for anyone interested, here are the different models :

AORUS GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ 8G (rev. 1.0/1.1)
GV-N207SAORUS-8GC

GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ GAMING OC WHITE 8G
GV-N207SGAMINGOC WHITE-8GC

GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ GAMING OC 3X WHITE 8G (rev. 1.0/1.1)
GV-N207SGAMINGOC WHITE-8GD

GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ GAMING OC 3X 8G (rev. 1.0/1.1)
GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GD

GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ GAMING OC 8G
GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GC

GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ WINDFORCE OC 3X 8G (rev. 1.0/1.1)
GV-N207SWF3OC-8GD

GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ WINDFORCE 3X 8G
GV-N207SWF3-8GD

GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ WINDFORCE OC 8G
GV-N207SWF3OC-8GC

these are all copied from gigabyte website.

Don't confuse the 3X brand name with the '3X windforce' fans that they mention in their product title! 3X is part of the brand name too aside from having 3 fans.

Similarly, don't confuse the WINDFORCE brand name with the '3X windforce' fans that they use in their product title to say there are 3 fans.

Aside from clock speeds, rtx ops and minor differences which you can compare at gigabyte website. here are the other differences

• 3X is the cheaper version, no usb-c
  • non-3X is more expensive, with usb-c
  • WINDFORCE is the cheapest entry and slower version than Gaming, the next tier
  • OC means overclocked, faster, more expensive than non-OC.
  • Gaming versions only comes with OC.
  • White is just white color, some retailer charge higher.
  • Gaming OC has larger fans than windforce. And larger board (i think)
  • I read about either all of them or some being able to use water cooling but i am not interested in that so didn't read further.
  • Aorus only has 1 version and is the most expensive, highest clock with usb-c and RGB and more HDMI ports.
I know you have already bought your 5700 XT, i just want to share what i have read. there are a lot more customers complaining about 5700 XT than 2070 Super.

All the issues are, black screens, freezing immediately or after a 1 hr, few hrs, etc. all difference scenarios.

most of them have to DDU to the driver that doesn't crash their system or games. they have to spend a lot of time debugging, trial and error. also temperatures goes up as high as 110 degrees. and AMD said this is normal for pushing the performance. hence it produces a lot of heat and is also very loud due to the fans revving up.

this is what made me hesitant to choose 5700 XT. although it is much cheaper. so disappointed... because I did a lot of checks on 5700 XT reviews, and they are all praises. especially the Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse, but most complaining users are using this brand and model....

I think why these could happen is people mixing new and old hardware (from upgrading parts) and there are incompatibilities. perhaps power issues too from too much heat generated, case cooling not good enough, and also AMD driver issues had caused a lot of problems for many people. with the different drivers solving different issues, every fix may have introduced new bugs. many have to roll back each version until their system is stable. which sounds quite scary to be honest. lots of wasted time re configuring game profiles. and some of them reinstall windows too.

oh well. wish you all the best. some people has no issues at all. hopefully that goes for you too.
Can I ask where did you read about the complaints regarding the 5700XT? Is it on Amazon?

The bad reviews could be coming from people who have older motherboards etc? The X570 motherboard and 3700x CPU that I've bought would be optimized for a card like the RX5700XT I think..

Building a new system from scratch would prevent things like black screens etc from occuring I would think?

EDIT: Also it appears AMD are working on solving the driver issues on an ongoing basis. Look at this video here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptDRxBxwUfU

Last edited:

roczi

Reputable
Jun 12, 2020
Can I ask where did you read about the complaints regarding the 5700XT? Is it on Amazon?

The bad reviews could be coming from people who have older motherboards etc? The X570 motherboard and 3700x CPU that I've bought would be optimized for a card like the RX5700XT I think..

Building a new system from scratch would prevent things like black screens etc from occuring I would think?

EDIT: Also it appears AMD are working on solving the driver issues on an ongoing basis. Look at this video here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptDRxBxwUfU
yes amd needs to keep fixing their problems, to retain their customers because many are sick of troubleshooting and they just return the card and switch to Nvidia. this is a new architecture from amd so they are taking 1 whole year to fix things. it depends if ppl with problems are willing to troubleshoot and wait.

that video you posted, the poll helps to determine somewhat that quite a lot more ppl have issues with AMD than Nvidia, not surprisingly nvidia is richer, has a bigger team of engineers.
View: https://imgur.com/Xh0Xd2L

a lot of comments i read from youtube video comments, like here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTEI-EcP1rc

here is one person who has spent 2 weeks figuring out and sharing his methods of SUCCESS :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5f6wJ5Jz_Q

try searching like these from reddit and amd community forums for ppl issues who also share their pc specs
View: https://imgur.com/Wzz6jih

when i read that the few has no issues, i wonder if it is their motherboard too, and power. did u have any issues at all?

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
@brendanpeterlyons, how is your experience so far? i am curious
Hi again,

I've been playing with my new rig with the RX5700XT over the last week or so. Most of the PC games that I've played work okay. However I've had significant problems with playing emulators that I believe is caused by AMD's drivers for OpenGL and because of this I am seriously considering returning the card and buying an RTX 2070 Super instead to save me the headache of having to use Ubuntu to use the emulators that I want to use. (AMD GPU's work better than in Ubuntu for some reason and a lot of people with AMD cards use emulators in Linux based systems for this reason)

The first game I played was Assassin's Creed Origins which worked brilliantly. I was really impressed by how it looked.

Then I played GTA V which had aliasing that I haven't been able to figure out how to get rid of. Also there is significant "pop up" in the game and I don't know if that happens with the 2070 Super or not.

I played Metal Gear Solid 5 which has annoying aliasing which I haven't figured out to get rid of yet.

I played Ghostbuster HD videogame which worked very well.

I played Witcher 3 which worked well even though I played little of it.

I played Resident Evil 2 which works okay. The frame rate was really unstable at the beginning but after messing around int he settings I was able to get it to work okay.

Star War Fallen Order was by far the worst game so far that I've play performance wise. I was really surprised by the stuttering and frame drops etc. I have no idea why this is happening. I only played it for 30 minutes to test it out. Really surprised how bad it was. Perhaps I need to alter something in the settings within the game?

Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019

I'm in the process of purchasing an RTX 2070 Super at the moment but the only one available on Amazon UK is the Gigabyte "Windforce OC 3x" model shown here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-G...rds=rtx+2070+super&qid=1593958783&sr=8-1&th=1

Can you specify why the Gigabyte Windforce models are so bad as you say? My understanding is that the main difference between the Windforce OC and the Gaming OC is the clock speeds. You have stated that the Winforce OC models have worse heat sinks and are louder?

Will there be a noticeable difference in performance between the two when playing games?