[SOLVED] Is the ryzen 3600x(stock speed)faster than 3600(s.s.)

lordofthenecklaces

Commendable
Mar 7, 2019
Im thinking of buying one of them however ım not really into overclocking so ı was wondering if the X version was faster than the base version.And how hot do they run?I dont have liquid cooling or anything

Solution
i have a 3600x in one of my systems and it's cooled no problem with a 150w cooler. with a torture load it stays below 80 degrees. much less for real world load.

i do have pbo turned on and i don't see more than about 75-80w used in a normal workload such as in a game. i don't have a 3600 to compare it to, but the reviews i saw showed them pretty much the same with the 3600x having a couple fps advantage.

basically whichever is cheaper is the way to go. you do get the better stock cooler with the 3600x which makes a few extra bucks worth it if you plan on using the stock cooler. i have been seeing the 3600x cheaper than the 3600 which makes it an obvious choice depending on the price you find for yourself. but i'd not pay more than an...
The 3600X version is faster, but it's less than a 10% bump in clock speeds on both base and boost. The 3600 may also hold back on boosting more aggressively to meet its 65W TDP spec.

As far as how hot they run, that depends on the cooler. But they'll do fine on the stock cooler.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have a 3600x in one of my systems and it's cooled no problem with a 150w cooler. with a torture load it stays below 80 degrees. much less for real world load.

i do have pbo turned on and i don't see more than about 75-80w used in a normal workload such as in a game. i don't have a 3600 to compare it to, but the reviews i saw showed them pretty much the same with the 3600x having a couple fps advantage.

basically whichever is cheaper is the way to go. you do get the better stock cooler with the 3600x which makes a few extra bucks worth it if you plan on using the stock cooler. i have been seeing the 3600x cheaper than the 3600 which makes it an obvious choice depending on the price you find for yourself. but i'd not pay more than an extra $10-15 max for the 3600x over the 3600

i also have a 3700x system and i see pretty much the same power used and temps with the same cooler and that one is a 65w part like the 3600.

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution

lordofthenecklaces

Commendable
Mar 7, 2019

basically whichever is cheaper is the way to go. you do get the better stock cooler with the 3600x which makes a few extra bucks worth it if you plan on using the stock cooler. i have been seeing the 3600x cheaper than the 3600 which makes it an obvious choice depending on the price you find for yourself. but i'd not pay more than an extra $10-15 max for the 3600x over the 3600

i also have a 3700x system and i see pretty much the same power used and temps with the same cooler and that one is a 65w part like the 3600.
Does the 3600x offer more fps at stock speed than 3600?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's listed as 200 mhz more. but they don't really run at those speeds. they all boost to whatever it can and the reviews showed both cpu's boosting to the about same speeds. you can't really go by the specs since they never really stay at those numbers. that's why i say the best buy is the cheaper of the 2 or the 3600x if it is only a few bucks more.

you'll get pretty much the same performance out of either

lordofthenecklaces

Commendable
Mar 7, 2019

And this might be a dumb question but when and if ı buy the 3600x and put it in my case will it be overclocked or do ı have to oc it myself?

lordofthenecklaces

Commendable
Mar 7, 2019
it's listed as 200 mhz more. but they don't really run at those speeds. they all boost to whatever it can and the reviews showed both cpu's boosting to the about same speeds. you can't really go by the specs since they never really stay at those numbers. that's why i say the best buy is the cheaper of the 2 or the 3600x if it is only a few bucks more.

you'll get pretty much the same performance out of either
Thank you for your help.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
pbo is the auto-overclocking tool built into the mobo. this is all you have to do to get that little bit extra. manually overclocking yields no gain vs pbo and can actually hurt some performance. it is not worth the time or effort.

simply enable pbo in the bios and let it do its thing. this is with either cpu you go with.

i did not bother with any kind of manual oc with either my 3600x or 3700x system and they both boost to where i have seen in reviews. so i know i'm getting what i can out of them.

lordofthenecklaces

Commendable
Mar 7, 2019
pbo is the auto-overclocking tool built into the mobo. this is all you have to do to get that little bit extra. manually overclocking yields no gain vs pbo and can actually hurt some performance. it is not worth the time or effort.

simply enable pbo in the bios and let it do its thing. this is with either cpu you go with.

i did not bother with any kind of manual oc with either my 3600x or 3700x system and they both boost to where i have seen in reviews. so i know i'm getting what i can out of them.
Pbo is disabled by default tho right?

Last edited: