[SOLVED] Is the Ryzen 4600G considered an APU or CPU?

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
The reason I ask, is because all the Ryzen APUs have up to now only devoted 8 lanes to the PCIe x16 slot. Is that the same with the 4600G? Or does it have the full 16 lanes?

Solution
But ohhhhh....how things are changing! Zen 4 "CPU's" will have an iGPU just like Intel's. Will they all be APU's too? even though completely inadequate for even low-level gaming?

Not that it changes anything with Zen up to now, of course.
APU is/was a brand name for AMD's CPUs with integrated graphics, It's officially dropped after FM series. Now a suffix "G" denotes a CPU with graphics.
Zen 4 will have just a basic graphics, nothing like relatively powerful graphics of APU on G processors.
But ohhhhh....how things are changing! Zen 4 "CPU's" will have an iGPU just like Intel's. Will they all be APU's too? even though completely inadequate for even low-level gaming?

Not that it changes anything with Zen up to now, of course.
APU is/was a brand name for AMD's CPUs with integrated graphics, It's officially dropped after FM series. Now a suffix "G" denotes a CPU with graphics.
Zen 4 will have just a basic graphics, nothing like relatively powerful graphics of APU on G processors.

Last edited:
Solution
Oh yes, I am aware of that....with the launch of 3200G/3400G the official name for "G" processors became the wordy "Ryzen Processor with Radeon Graphics". That doesn't translate to an acronym-word (RyPRaG???) nearly so comfortably as does "Accelerated Processing Unit" so APU just seems to have stuck in the colloquial for AMD's processors with graphics.

Once it's come into common useage it's hard to drop calling it an APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) to distinguish it from a simple CPU. I'm sure there's going to be more than a few complaining about poor performance of the basic graphics on Zen 4 if it's not made clear what it is meant for.

Last edited:
zen1 up to zen 3 APUs have 8 pcie lanes reserved for igpu, zen 4 will have few more lanes, but its unknown atm how lanes will be adressed

From a marketing perspective: what does Intel do with their iGPU equipped processors?

It's pure speculation of course but I feel confident AMD will not come out with a processor that cripples the PCIe lane-based bandwidth to a dGPU (even if a pointlessly excessive 16 lanes of PCIe gen 5) to feed a basic iGPU when the competition does not.

From a marketing perspective: what does Intel do with their iGPU equipped processors?

It's pure speculation of course but I feel confident AMD will not come out with a processor that cripples the PCIe lane-based bandwidth to a dGPU (even if a pointlessly excessive 16 lanes of PCIe gen 5) to feed a basic iGPU when the competition does not.
intel have so slow gpus that they dont need 8 pcie lanes

AM4/7000 series will have IGPU in I/O chip and the one AMD announced had 24 PCIe lanes. MBs with two part chipset are bound to have more PCIe lanes.

AM4/7000 series will have IGPU in I/O chip and the one AMD announced had 24 PCIe lanes. MBs with two part chipset are bound to have more PCIe lanes.
Well this is getting kinda off topic for the thread...but what do we know about the AM4/7000? I assume you referring to Raphael; the leaks I've read of are saying it will be on AM5:

"The platform will also completely update the socket design as it will go from AM4 to AM5 with Raphael."​

AM5 will, of course, have the lane allowances of the platform...whether X670E, X670 or B650.

The 4600G has the full amount of PCIE lanes, 24 (3.0), and 16 dedicated for the GPU.
ummm... any reference for that? It would be a clear break from past APU configuration.

True, there are 16 lanes for GPU's but all previous Ryzen APU's have dedicated 8 lanes to the iGPU leaving 8 lanes for a discrete GPU. Dedicating all 16 lanes to a dGPU would also leave no data lanes for the iGPU to use in the presence of a dGPU, something many applications take advantage of.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
ummm... any reference for that? It would be a clear break from past APU configuration.

True, there are 16 lanes for GPU's but all previous APU's have dedicated 8 lanes to the iGPU leaving 8 lanes for a discrete GPU. Dedicating all 16 lanes to a dGPU would mean there's no data lanes left to use the iGPU at all, something many applications take advantage of.
https://www.amd.com/en/product/10201

Since Zen 2 APUs they have increased the lane amount.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Yah...well...nothing there says how many lanes to the iGPU and how many to the GPU. I expect it to follow the same configuration as all prior APU's until I can see something definitive.
Then you’re reading it wrong. Zen2 APUs and Zen3 APUs have 8 more lanes available in total and that makes the first PCIE slot a full 16x slot, while the rest remains the same.

and more definitive than amd.com won’t happen. :p

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
You're ASSUMING those lanes are given to the first 16x slot.

More USB 3.2 gen2, more NVME, more SATA 6. Lots more customers to suck it all up.
This is not a assumption, this is how it’s done for all AMD CPUs, anything else you mentioned is a extra or handled by the chipset.

if you’re so sure it’s only 8x for the PCIE slot, prove it to me. Otherwise, I have a website as a proof, I’m not impressed.

Otherwise, I have a website as a proof, I’m not impressed.
Here you go...
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/pkwi83/ryzen_5000_apus_x8_pcie_for_discreet_gpus/hc6h1tu/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Now...if you can explain how to dedicate those 16 graphics lanes to a dGPU and not starve the iGPU (or vice versa) is all that's left. It may be possible to design a motherboard, motherboard BIOS, AGESA, whatever to do that but until you show me one it's just theory. It's also self-defeating since it negates part of the value of an iGPU.

Last edited:

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Here you go...
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/pkwi83/ryzen_5000_apus_x8_pcie_for_discreet_gpus/hc6h1tu/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Now...if you can explain how to dedicate those 16 graphics lanes to the iGPU and not starve a dGPU (or vice versa) is all that's left.
First of all that’s not a proof, that’s just the same data I gave you.

Secondly, the prior APUs had even less, so you wanna tell me, via your logic, that DGPUs only had 4x lanes then? Hahahaha. I doubt that very much and also know for a fact that they had 8. And because they have increased lanes from 16 to 24, I ASSUME, they have 16 now. I assume not much, this is simple logic. Here you go.

First of all that’s not a proof, that’s just the same data I gave you.

Secondly, the prior APUs had even less, so you wanna tell me, via your logic, that DGPUs only had 4x lanes then? Hahahaha. I doubt that very much and also know for a fact that they had 8. And because they have increased lanes from 16 to 24, I ASSUME, they have 16 now. I assume not much, this is simple logic. Here you go.
I never claimed dGPU's had 4 lanes on older APU's.

I'm also not claiming there's aren't 16 lanes for graphics...i'm just doubtful it's possible to give those 16 lanes to a dGPU and still feed the iGPU. That's simple logic too.

It's a stupid thing to fuss over...someone with a 4000 or 5000 G processor and a dGPU might help clear it up.