Is the Ryzen 5 2600x/ Ryzen 7 2700x compatible on the Dell Inspiron 5675 Model

michaelr8709

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
I bought the Dell Inspiron 5675 and I want to upgrade the CPU to either a Ryzen 5 2600x or a Ryzen 7 2700x. The current CPU is a Ryzen 5 1400 and the motherboard is a x370 AM4 chipset. Will the new Ryzen CPUs be compatible on that motherboard and model?

Solution
As an additional thing to be concerned about is making sure that your BIOS on that mobo is up-to-date. If not, you'll need to update it prior to dropping in a Pinnacle Ridge based CPU as they more than likely won't run on the X370 based boards without it (depending on when yours was made, mind you)..
Compatibility wise it will be fine. However, often the PSU in Dell systems aren't the best, or have limited output. You are changing a 65w part for a 95w/105w parts. Your PSU needs to be able to take that. And whatever you do, don't try and OC the new CPU until you get a new PSU too.

michaelr8709

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

What is a good PSU to get the most value for what I need for the smallest price?

You need to check with Dell's support forum on that. In my experience upgrading OEM PC maker PC and laptop CPUs in the past, it is dependent on two things: 1) if the BIOS is not factory locked to prevent CPU downgrades for fraudulent vendor sales advertising a faster CPU than it is then swapping out said faster CPU for a cheaper slower one, and 2) if the chip socket itself allows said upgrade (usually more restricted on laptops).

Confirm with Dell first before even worrying about a PSU upgrade.

michaelr8709

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

I have checked with dell and they have confirmed the model can be upgraded to a 1600x, 1700x but they haven't tested with a 2600x.

As an additional thing to be concerned about is making sure that your BIOS on that mobo is up-to-date. If not, you'll need to update it prior to dropping in a Pinnacle Ridge based CPU as they more than likely won't run on the X370 based boards without it (depending on when yours was made, mind you)..

Solution

Well, something like a CX550m would do fine. But 10tacle has a good point. As he said, and I eluded to, Dell systems often use propriatry parts, and the BIOS can be hobbled, so upgrading 'can' be difficult. Not always though, and I doubt it with that mobo. But defo, worth checking first before moving forward.

Also, even if that all goes well, you will need to make sure to update the BIOS to a latest version (Providing Dell has one for the new CPU line) before you put in the new CPU.

Well, that would make sense, since Dell don't release BIOS updates as regularly as the mobo manufacturers, so your stuck with Ryzen 1.0. Still a 1600x or 1700x are great gaming chips. Will push a few more FPS than the 1400 and in certain games will be the difference between smooth gaming and not. Much better productivity too!

What that tells me is that Dell will not support second generation upgrade on this series Inspirons and you'll have to shell out for a newer version to get that. Not unusual at all. OEM PC vendors grab you by the short hairs.

I hate it. It's so cynical. For some people brand devotion is king, Dell rely on that. So by hobbling the systems, you're encouraged to get a new system and shell out some cash. It's a win for Dell.

Even though you may not be able to upgrade much further than what you have presently, you're definitely not in a bad place as far as what you've got. It doesn't make a lot of sense for you to buy a new processor but should you need additional horsepower, at least you have confirmation from Dell you can at least step up to a Ryzen 7.

LOL "special sauce." Exactly what I was referring to! I like that phrase. Suits OEM vendors well on upgrade paths.

In the old days it wasn't a problem. By "old days" I'm talking about late '90s to early-mid '00s. But during that period the popularity of people discovering how to easily upgrade their OEM PCs from Dell and HP and whatnot, they started clamping down. Websites like Tom's and AnandTech for example helped start that popularity increase which caused many, including me, to eventually progress to building our own rigs.

Agreed with that. There is not a massive performance difference between the first and second respective generation same chip series.