[SOLVED] Is the ryzen 5 3600 more "future proof" than the i5 9600k gaming wise?

Solution
Well here's the gimmick. Nobody can answer that but you. I'm still kicking a 3rd gen Intel i7 and gtx970. That's ddr3, no m.2, no NVMe, no RGB headers and plenty of usb 2 headers. Same pc I've had for the last 7 years and I'm still more interested in the games I've been playing, like skyrim and swtor and kotor1/2 and really don't get into AAA fast first person type shooters. I do play a little CSGO occasionally, but no pubg or world of tanks or WoW or BF5 or FarCry series. I don't need a Ryzen 3700x nor a rtx2060 super.

So my pc at the time was as future proof as it gets, to me, because I know me. Are you going to be upgrading gpus, SSDs, monitors? Or are you going to basically play the same games. You'll not need pcie4 unless you know...

Micha_2

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2016
No such thing as future proof but personally I feel the 3600 is a much better buy, has far more headroom for the future and in some games already achieves better minimum FPS.
Okay good to know :) Also I wanted to know I if buy the MSI B450 Tomahawk, will I be able to upgrade the cpu to a r7 3800X for example in the future?

Okay good to know :) Also I wanted to know I if buy the MSI B450 Tomahawk, will I be able to upgrade the cpu to a r7 3800X for example in the future?
Yes but the 3800X is barely any better than the 3700X, they are so close you have to ask why the 3800X even exists. So either save your money and get the 3700X or look towards the 3900X but the 3900X will want a motherboard with better VRM’s.

Sep 15, 2019
You cant say anything is future proof. Everyday there are many invention and findings, you never know that new tech might come even better than the 3600 but if you kept a timestamp like 2 years or 5 years yeah it will be futureproof. If you upgrade 3800x not worth the shot as 3700x is only tad bit behind it.

Last edited:

Micha_2

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2016
Yes but the 3800X is barely any better than the 3700X, they are so close you have to ask why the 3800X even exists. So either save your money and get the 3700X or look towards the 3900X but the 3900X will want a motherboard with better VRM’s.
Will the asus prime x470 be enough for the 3700x?

Title says it all

Yes...the 3600 will become more and more useful as time goes by with games and apps using more threads.

I'd be careful that you're buying a motherboard with a solid VRM if you plan on moving up to the 100+ watt CPU's...most B450 and x470 boards and even some cheap x570 boards have terrible VRM implementations and are really only good enough to handle 65w CPU's long term.

3600 will perform better in today's demanding games although the 9600k is better in some older games.

Predicting based on the trend of games using more and more cors year after year, the R5 3600 will deliver better performance in future games since it has more threads.

Micha_2

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2016
Which don't suffer at all when using PCIe3.
I'm planning on buying the rtx 2070 super and not the rx 5700xt because in Canada the rx 5700xt is 100$ cheaper, but the rtx 2070 super includes Modern Warfare (a game that I'm going to buy either way). I'm a little confused on the PCIe slot, what's wrong with it and why do people say that I'm going to miss out on it? I already bought the mobo so I'm a little nervous (haven't opened it yet).

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A few years ago, the world started changing over from mini to micro USB. Cell phones, drives, cameras etc. Same thing is happening now with changing from micro USB to type-C. DDR2 became DDR3 and now DDR4. Pcie 1.0 was abolished, became pcie 1.1 to 2.1, 2.2 to 3.1, and is now trending to change again to pcie 4.0. That means anything related to pcie, like NVMe drives and gpus are going to start coming out as wanting, needing, using pcie 4.0. They'll work on pcie 3.1, but work better, stronger, faster on pcie 4.0.

The motherboard you are/have purchased is pcie 3.1. You want future proof, yet are buying mini USB when micro USB is starting to be known.

Micha_2

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2016
A few years ago, the world started changing over from mini to micro USB. Cell phones, drives, cameras etc. Same thing is happening now with changing from micro USB to type-C. DDR2 became DDR3 and now DDR4. Pcie 1.0 was abolished, became pcie 1.1 to 2.1, 2.2 to 3.1, and is now trending to change again to pcie 4.0. That means anything related to pcie, like NVMe drives and gpus are going to start coming out as wanting, needing, using pcie 4.0. They'll work on pcie 3.1, but work better, stronger, faster on pcie 4.0.

The motherboard you are/have purchased is pcie 3.1. You want future proof, yet are buying mini USB when micro USB is starting to be known.
Thank you for your response, I clearly should've informed myself more on this topic before buying the mobo. Should I return it to buy a x570 mobo? And how long do you think will the process going to take? (I bought on newegg, I know this question cannot have a definite answer but an approximation would be helpful ).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well here's the gimmick. Nobody can answer that but you. I'm still kicking a 3rd gen Intel i7 and gtx970. That's ddr3, no m.2, no NVMe, no RGB headers and plenty of usb 2 headers. Same pc I've had for the last 7 years and I'm still more interested in the games I've been playing, like skyrim and swtor and kotor1/2 and really don't get into AAA fast first person type shooters. I do play a little CSGO occasionally, but no pubg or world of tanks or WoW or BF5 or FarCry series. I don't need a Ryzen 3700x nor a rtx2060 super.

So my pc at the time was as future proof as it gets, to me, because I know me. Are you going to be upgrading gpus, SSDs, monitors? Or are you going to basically play the same games. You'll not need pcie4 unless you know or plan on future upgrades due to necessity to play new stuff.

I own just 1 type-C, my cell phone. It's got a regular charge cable in the work van and a data cable on the pc. I'm good. Don't need more. Don't need a case that has type-C port on top or in back.

When you figure out what exactly your needs are and probably will be, you'll answer some of your own questions, including should you go for pcie4 mobo.

Reactions: brokeBuilder2019
Solution

brokeBuilder2019

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
I know that this question has already been "answered" but I wanted to offer my 2 cents.

For any kind of CPU/GPU comparison, I like to look at what this site has to say:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-9600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/4031vs4040

It provides detailed performance metrics. And, for gaming, you can see FPS benchmarks for a specific game on a specific CPU. You can check out how many FPS you would see for the games you play, for both CPUs.

The general consensus out there seems to be that as of today, Intel CPUs are better at gaming because of superior single core performance (and not all games today use lots of cores/threads) and that AMD is a better overall processor and excels in multi-threaded productivity performance. However, this difference may change in the years to come. And, this is a generalization ... you should look at specific game/CPU benchmarks to get more precise info.

So, how much of a gamer are you ? And how much importance do you give to other kinds of tasks performed on the same PC ? This may help you arrive at your answer.

I, personally, would go for the Ryzen 3600 because of the doubled thread count and better all-round performance.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's taken 20 years to go from 250nm process to 7/10 nm process, most of the biggest changes happening in the first 10 years or so. Back in the days of FX, amd split from convention thinking and expanded core count vrs Intel which has concentrated on single thread performance. If the nm process allowed, we'd still be looking at Intel quad cores for mainstream, but the nm process won't allow it. Simply can't (yet) get 7nm to 5+GHz speeds. Intel could easily drop a 7 or 10nm desktop cpu, but would be restricted as amd to closer to 4GHz and that would be bad for Intel as software still is oriented on single thread speeds.

So it's going to get to the point (5nm) where silicon based ic's aren't going to be enough. A brick wall. That's what's coming. There's going to be only 1 direction current ability can go. Out. Multi cores, multi threads, and with games like BF4 and up, it's already started. 2 threads at 4GHz get more work done than 1 core at 5GHz. Ask any slow Xeon with 18 cores at 2.x.

So that's where games and other software is headed for the foreseeable future. Higher thread utilization. The I5-9600k is good for now, but going to get increasingly, proportionately slower as games get optimized for 8, 12, 16 thread usage.

This puts the higher thread count amd mainstream cpus at an advantage. They may not get the highest fps, that honestly doesn't matter, it's the spread between highest and lowest fps where amd is the winner mostly, having the lower variation.

But that could also be 10 years from now. The mistake amd made in jumping the gun with high thread FX and no supporting software to speak of.

So either take full advantage of DX11 games and higher single thread now, or gamble on the need for higher multi-thread.