[SOLVED] Is the Ryzen 5 3600x worth buying over the 3600 for 20€ more?

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
I need to buy a new build, and i know that there's pretty much no difference between the Ryzen 5 3600x and the 3600, but since there is a small difference, 20€ (200€ vs 220€), I'm a little undecided. I dont care about the better cooler of the 3600x since i won't keep the stock cooler anyway. I don't want to overclock them. Do you think it's worth buying the 3600x over the 3600? Even though it's just 20 euros, since i dont have a job for me it's a problem lol what do you guys think?

Solution
IMO, if you're not going to replace the cooler, it is the better deal.
The included Wraith Spire is better than the Stealth included with the 3600.

If you're going to replace the cooler anyway, then nope. The extra 20 Euros can go towards that aftermarket cooler. Performance-wise, see Zerk2012's link above.
I need to buy a new build, and i know that there's pretty much no difference between the Ryzen 5 3600x and the 3600, but since there is a small difference, 20€ (200€ vs 220€), I'm a little undecided. I dont care about the better cooler of the 3600x since i won't keep the stock cooler anyway. I don't want to overclock them. Do you think it's worth buying the 3600x over the 3600? Even though it's just 20 euros, since i dont have a job for me it's a problem lol what do you guys think?
if its 20$ more i would go for it.If its over 50$ i wouldnt

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
it really all depends on:
1.what you're gonna use it for
2.what your other components are like
3. and how long until your next upgrade

Ok so basically the Ryzen 5 3600 is the same as the 3600x with the x version being slightly (avg 2%) faster than the non x version. it also has a slightly higher clock speed

If you're using it for gaming or anything like that you're not going to see any difference (Exception to be added) the same goes for School work or typical office work.
the expection that i mentioned would come about if your other components are completely OP like the latest GPU, a ton of ram and all of that... otherwise no dice.

Like i said, your other components will determine if you actually get any improved usage (Noticeable). so if the rest of your rig has mid range items like a gtx 1660 or 16 gb 3200mhz ram then you wont feel the difference, unless you run a benchmark and read a bunch of stats.

Lastly, if you pnaning on keeping this cpu for 4 or 5 years or less, and the rest of your gear isnt top notch then don't bother. however if you're not gonna upgrade for the next 10 years or so then it might be worth going for the 3600x since the price increase would be just about 2 euros a year.

In the end it's really up to you, but i recommend you look at this user benchmark site - it's very good (in my opinion) :https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-3600X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/4041vs4040

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Their the same processor except the X has a 0.2GHz faster clock speed. Comes down to your money your choice.

Don't use Uesrbenchmarks for anything it's a garbage site.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

If you're going to replace the cooler anyway, then nope. The extra 20 Euros can go towards that aftermarket cooler. Performance-wise, see Zerk2012's link above.

Reactions: Andrea Burgio
Solution

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020

I would say go for it, its an x processor so it does have higher silicon quality than its non-x counterpart. It's such a low price difference that you really aren't losing much for a better chip.

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015

Yeah, i'll do that, thank you!