[SOLVED] Is the Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD really going to give better performance vs. 500GB?

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
I bought the 860 EVO 500GB SSD and windows boots fast and applications start up fast too. But I'm wondering if I should just return this drive and buy the 1TB version. I'm reading that it has better performance, like twice as much turbowrite speeds and 2 times the cache memory as the 500GB version for a total of 1GB compared to 512MB for the 500GB version. Should I go for the 1TB version or is it going to be only a marginal performance gain for my PC specs I listed below? By the way, I only used about 40GB of space on the SSD so far which is probably going to be all I need at this time, but I might end up using more upto 60GB to 80GB later on.

My PC specs:

Motherboard: Asus P6T
RAM: 12GB DDR3
CPU: intel i7 older generation (920 @2.67GHz)
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Primary Drive: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD
Secondary Drive: 1TB HDD
Power supply: 500 Watts (i think)

Last edited:
Solution
SSDs will max out the SATA ports on any motherboard. Especially an OLD board like yours. I wouldn't recommend swapping for fictional improved performance.

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
So I'm assuming my current mobo only allows SATA II speeds like 3Gb/s? The EVO drive says it provides 6Gb/s speeds (SATA III). I'm reading that I can get SATA III speeds if I get a PCIE SATA III card.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
So I'm assuming my current mobo only allows SATA II speeds like 3Gb/s? The EVO drive says it provides 6Gb/s speeds (SATA III). I'm reading that I can get SATA III speeds if I get a PCIE SATA III card.
Yes, your board only supports SATA II.
But you may not be able to boot from a drive in a PCIe adapter. For something that old, I wouldn't count on it, unless I had actual proof of someone else doing it.

sghoshranipark

Reputable
Jun 28, 2016
I bought the 860 EVO 500GB SSD and windows boots fast and applications start up fast too. But I'm wondering if I should just return this drive and buy the 1TB version. I'm reading that it has better performance, like twice as much turbowrite speeds and 2 times the cache memory as the 500GB version for a total of 1GB compared to 512MB for the 500GB version. Should I go for the 1TB version or is it going to be only a marginal performance gain for my PC specs I listed below? By the way, I only used about 40GB of space on the SSD so far which is probably going to be all I need at this time, but I might end up using more upto 60GB to 80GB later on.

My PC specs:

Motherboard: Asus P6T
RAM: 12GB DDR3
CPU: intel i7 older generation (920 @2.67GHz)
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Primary Drive: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD
Secondary Drive: 1TB HDD
Power supply: 500 Watts (i think)

I have 250 GB and 1 TB Variant 860 EVO Variant Installed on each of my Machine, and both of them performs equally. 1 TB is installed on my Laptop, so kind of slow due to my Laptop's Old Hardware.
However 1 TB Option is gonna give you better Longevity than the 250 GB Variant.