[SOLVED] Is the Seasonic gm-650 a good choice?

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
I have heard many good things about Seasonic power supplies. I did a couple of power calculations for my proposed system and it looks like I will need somewhere between 350 and 400 watts, but I want to keep some extra headroom for future upgrades. I plan on keeping the machine for more than 5 years. I am looking for the following:

• Reliable
  • quite as possible
  • high efficiency(i want to save money on electricity. Is it worth going for 80 plus platinum?). The machine will be used for about 10 hrs a day.
  • around $100
your thoughts? Anything better to consider for the price? Thanks.

Solution
I have heard many good things about Seasonic power supplies. I did a couple of power calculations for my proposed system and it looks like I will need somewhere between 350 and 400 watts, but I want to keep some extra headroom for future upgrades. I plan on keeping the machine for more than 5 years. I am looking for the following:

• Reliable
  • quite as possible
  • high efficiency(i want to save money on electricity. Is it worth going for 80 plus platinum?). The machine will be used for about 10 hrs a day.
  • around $100

The platinum series Seasonic is for enthusiast overclockers and will cost more than twice the price of gold certified unit.
Both...

• Reliable
  • quite as possible
  • around $100

The platinum series Seasonic is for enthusiast overclockers and will cost more than twice the price of gold certified unit.
Both are excellent quality wise. Platinum is more voltage efficient.
The gold unit is semi modular with 7year Warranty and the PLatinum unit is fully modular and has 10Year Warranty.

Solution

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
Ok, thanks. I like the seasonic psus and want one. I am seriously looking at the gm-650 that i mentioned above. now i just want to make sure that the psu has enough connectors. The gm 650 has the following connectors

1 x Main Power (24/20 pins) - attached
1 x CPU (8/4 pins) - attached
2 x PCIe (8/6 pins) - modular
6 x SATA - modular
3 x Peripheral - modular
1 x Floppy - modular

I will only ever do one gpu, but I might do additional pci e cards like nic, wifi, or sound cards. Are the 2 pcie connectors above only for the gpus which exists in the longest slots(i have 2 of these long slots)? Can they be used for the other smaller pcie slots? Also what are the 3 peripheral connectors for?

The Seasonic GM-650 has more cabling than you will require.

PCIe (peripheral component interconnect express) is a standard interface for connecting high-speed components. Every desktop PC motherboard has a number of PCIe slots you can use to add GPUs (aka video cards aka graphics cards), RAID cards, Wi-Fi cards or SSD (solid-state drive) add-on cards.

The Molex 4-pin power supply connector is one of the standard peripheral power connectors ... This connector is the standard connector for all PATA based hard drives, many high-end video cards, and some older optical drives and other internal devices.

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
Ok. I guess what my concern is that this psu only comes with 2 pcie plugs. One is going to my gpu for sure, so that just leaves me with one. What other device/card/ component would require a pcie power plug other than the gpu? Do modern sound, wired nic, wireless, or bluetooth cards require a pcie plug?

Ok. I guess what my concern is that this psu only comes with 2 pcie plugs. One is going to my gpu for sure, so that just leaves me with one. What other device/card/ component would require a pcie power plug other than the gpu? Do modern sound, wired nic, wireless, or bluetooth cards require a pcie plug?

Yes as explained above. With the advent of Bluetooth there are many devices and ways of connecting Bluetooth.
Should you not have a cable or connection in the future you can always purchase one to suit.

TRENDING THREADS