[SOLVED] Is the Seasonic S12ii-520 used an option?

Aug 15, 2019
Hi, in this days i need to buy a new PSU. I have to decide if buy used (good brand) or new (bad brand).
The news PSU that i can afford are:
-Gigabyte PB500 500w
-Sentey SNP550-HS 550w
-Xfx P1-500B-XTFR 500w

The used PSU that i am considering is the Seasonic S12ii-520 which has two sellers. One has two years of use and the other 1 year (more expensive).
The question is: Are the used Seasonic PSU's an option here?

It is important to comment that the video card (which uses a 8 pin connector) will consume aprox. 19A and the Seasonic PSU have two rails of +12V
with 20A each. I do not know if that ampers are going to be enough to power all the components of the pc (i mean: if the pc only uses one rail it will not be enough. I do not now how the rail's distribution works in the pc)

The new PSU will handle:
-i5 3330 3.0Ghz
-Sapphire Pulse Rx 570 4gb
-8 gb Ram
-1tb HDD
-MSI B75MA-E31 (MS-7808)

Solution
There is still a load on the 5v rail. Even on a new system. It's not as large a load as out used to be. But the load is still there. And more than 1A they test at. And the 520 can still output 100% of the rated load. Without exploding. It's not a great psu. But piece of crap? It's better than that.

liamwhalley20

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
what is your budget and where are you based?

Buying a used PSU isn't really recommended as you dont know how much it has actually been used. Yes one maybe older than the other but thats not to say that the one thats been used for a year hasnt been used for the FULL year ie not turned off at all since being installed and has numerous amounts of demanding software running (which will draw alot of power) and the one thats two years old has only had occasional use maybe once or twice a week. It is hard to judge unless you have all these details.

i would suggest finding a reasonable psu that fits nicely with your budget instead of buying a crap or used one then having to fork out for a new system when they go bang plus the added cost of the fire extinguisher you may possibly need too.

4745454b

Titan
19A × 12V = 228W. Thats high. The 570 is now like a 120-150W card. Even the 580 is a 180-200W card. I wouldn't worry about the 19A.

Have you ever bought a used car? The seller is going to mention how it was his grandma's car. Never went over 45mph, only to church once a week, etc. I doubt you'd believe that, why would you believe it's only been used one year, or only powered a system with IGP? Just because a seller claims it doesn't make it true.

That said it seems like you have a tiny budget for a PSU. The 520 is an older design that is basically at end of being useful. Personally i wouldn't run it. It's better than the PSUs you listed so get it if you must. But it's not a great psu.

Reactions: liamwhalley20
Aug 15, 2019
what is your budget and where are you based?

Buying a used PSU isn't really recommended as you dont know how much it has actually been used. Yes one maybe older than the other but thats not to say that the one thats been used for a year hasnt been used for the FULL year ie not turned off at all since being installed and has numerous amounts of demanding software running (which will draw alot of power) and the one thats two years old has only had occasional use maybe once or twice a week. It is hard to judge unless you have all these details.

i would suggest finding a reasonable psu that fits nicely with your budget instead of buying a crap or used one then having to fork out for a new system when they go bang plus the added cost of the fire extinguisher you may possibly need too.
My budget is aprox. $4000 (currency of Argentina, aprox. 73 dollars ). I made a post a few days ago here and the Seasonic one is recommended (the brand). Here is the question i made: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/does-this-psu-have-the-amperage-for-rx-570-4gb.3513114/ (see reply numer 38)
I have been looking for a few days for new psu and this are the options, there are no more it's that simple.
In the used market i can find some high tier brands and the S12ii-520, for now, is the only in my budget. If you tell me that the risks are not worth, i am going to buy the Gigabyte one because seems to be the best of the three. Thanks.

liamwhalley20

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
i really wouldn't suggest just cheaping out on your psu. it is literally the most important component for your whole system for stability because if that goes then chances are the rest of your system will go too.

i suggest trying to save up some more money and getting a good power supply from a reputable brand. like corsair or seasonic. I and many others would recommend that you don't cheap out on a power supply.

Aug 15, 2019
i really wouldn't suggest just cheaping out on your psu. it is literally the most important component for your whole system for stability because if that goes then chances are the rest of your system will go too.

i suggest trying to save up some more money and getting a good power supply from a reputable brand. like corsair or seasonic. I and many others would recommend that you don't cheap out on a power supply.
Yes, a lot of people recommend that. I have to buy something in this days, i have to pick one of them. I will think this a few days more and see what to do. Thanks for your help.

4745454b

Titan
That's a bit over the top. As a cheap unit it's ok. I would run it over the junk new ones the op listed. Just don't delude yourself into thinking it's a great seasonic model. 10yrs ago it was good. Now it's just basic.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019
That's a bit over the top. As a cheap unit it's ok. I would ruin out over the junk new ones the op listed. Just don't delude yourself into thinking it's a great seasonic model. 10yrs ago it was good. Now it's just basic.
No , it's not ok! Group regulation according to compuasterbase.de , can lead to the 12v rail dropping to 11.3v! on a modern load. And lots of mising protections , if your fan fails nothings gonna be there to prevent the psu from overheating...
Even the S12III is better...

4745454b

Titan
There is still a load on the 5v rail. Even on a new system. It's not as large a load as out used to be. But the load is still there. And more than 1A they test at. And the 520 can still output 100% of the rated load. Without exploding. It's not a great psu. But piece of crap? It's better than that.

Reactions: Matt8599
Solution
Please stick to one thread. You've already asked all these questions HERE: