[SOLVED] Is the Seasonic S12II bad?

ZeyadBB

Reputable
Jun 3, 2016
I swear last time I checked for psu threads the Seasonic S12II was recommended here and there, but now its average or in some cases not good? I've seen recommendations of Cosair's budget psu over the S12II ones, what I heard was something about group regulations that makes it not good for today's standards, please someone explain, its for a friend who's between a MWE550 and a S12II 520, I told him the S12II without even looking, but convinced me to look on websites and I saw how people changed their opinions on the S12II ones.

His PC:
CPU: Ryzen 3 1200 (100% Going to OC)
Ram: 2*4GB Crucial 2666mhz (Also OC)
GPU: XFX RX 470 4GB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
SSD: MX500 250Gb M.2
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox M501L
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520 or Cooler Master MWEE550

And for PSU suggestions, the PSU range here is very limited, so I'll have to check if they're available first, thanks!

Solution
Is the Seasonic S12II bad?

Nope, I won't call it a bad PSU. It's just an older platform mid-tier PSU. Also, S12II is not certified as Haswell ready. It's not an ideal choice for Haswell and later CPUs (support for C6/C7 power states). It'll work but there are better choices. But, I don't see any issue using this with the RYZEN 3 CPU though.

ZeyadBB

Reputable
Jun 3, 2016
But what's the talk about it having group regulations which doesn't meet the standards? I also read that it doesn't have required C states for sleep to work properly, which again I know nothing of, I just don't want to recommend something that would die on him if he did oveclocking on both his CPU amd GPU, he also expects it to last at least 4 years until he can upgrade again, so then is it enough for the system and should he go with it?

Nope, I won't call it a bad PSU. It's just an older platform mid-tier PSU. Also, S12II is not certified as Haswell ready. It's not an ideal choice for Haswell and later CPUs (support for C6/C7 power states). It'll work but there are better choices. But, I don't see any issue using this with the RYZEN 3 CPU though.

Last edited:
Solution

ZeyadBB

Reputable
Jun 3, 2016

Nope, I won't call it a bad PSU. It's just an older platform mid-tier PSU. Also, S12II is not certified as Haswell ready. It's not an ideal choice for Haswell and later CPUs (support for C6/C7 power states). It'll work but there are better choices. I don't see any issue using this with the RYZEN 3 CPU though.

Alright, should be all good, thanks!