Is the Seasonic S12II enough for my PC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 20, 2018
Hello guys.

So I'm having a lot of troubles with my current PSU lately. I have the Corsair VS550 right now, and I have been having a lot of troubles with it when gaming, it reboots after a short time playing.
After monitoring the temperatures while gaming, both my GPU and CPU reach 50°C max, and testing my RAM has shown no issues I figured out it has to be the PSU. I've also read bad reviews about the VS series, which also made me come to this conclusion.

I've been looking for decent PSUs, and since I'm kinda on a low budget, I cannot afford a expensive one at the moment and I came across the Seasonic S12II. I've read good reviews about this PSU, and since everybody agrees with Seasonic being the best PSU manufacturer, I'd like to have a last opinion on it, if it is enough for my system I'll buy it tomorrow and hopefully I can play without having to worry about my pc rebooting again.

i5 4460
8GM ram 4x2
AMD HD 7900 series (R9 280 to be specific)

Solution
Where are you seeing a reputable review of ANY BeQuiet System power 9 model?

Because I don't see any REPUTABLE reviews.

And I only see TWO reviews at ALL. Both are non-english and from sites that I honestly would have to take with a shaker full of salt when compared to places like here, JG, Hardware secrets, HardOCP, etc. If you have some kind of magical resource for PSU reviews that the rest of us mortals don't have access to, by all means, please share it with us.

Otherwise, the reviews that exist on the older Seasonic units suggest that they are

1)Still good compared to the majority of units available in most countries that are not the US, UK, Canada, Australia or parts of Europe. I assure you, the Corsair CX units available...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ah. Take JG's reviews with a grain of salt. Take the S12-II for example. Back in the day, it was considered an excellent psu, it was classed far above many other psus at the time, because it was simply better, better built, better overall. That was then. Today's psus are considerably better than they used to be, so what was great then is closer to mediocre now

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

Exactly.
Why don't we talk about the 290mV voltage deviation from test 1 to crossload 2?
Why not discuss the lack of support for Intel C6/C7 sleep states?
Why don't we talk about the missing UVP on 12V rail, missing OCP on any rail, missing OTP?
Why don't we talk about the untested hold up time, transient response, inrush current, EMI/EMC?
Why are we ignoring power supplies at the same price that don't have these issues? Like the Be quiet System Power 9.

I do not hate Seasonic. I have no trouble recommending a Seasonic PSU if it's the best OP can buy.

So this is a list of the available PSUs within my price range in the store.

Ultron RealPower RP600 ECO
Thermaltake Smart RGB
Thermaltake TR2 S 600W
Thermaltake Berlin 630W
Thermaltake Smart SE 630W
Seasonic S12II-620Bronze
In that case the S12ii is the best option.

I dislike people ignoring solid evidence, and overrating these PSUs for whatever reason?

Where are you seeing a reputable review of ANY BeQuiet System power 9 model?

Because I don't see any REPUTABLE reviews.

And I only see TWO reviews at ALL. Both are non-english and from sites that I honestly would have to take with a shaker full of salt when compared to places like here, JG, Hardware secrets, HardOCP, etc. If you have some kind of magical resource for PSU reviews that the rest of us mortals don't have access to, by all means, please share it with us.

Otherwise, the reviews that exist on the older Seasonic units suggest that they are

1)Still good compared to the majority of units available in most countries that are not the US, UK, Canada, Australia or parts of Europe. I assure you, the Corsair CX units available in the middle east are not the newer CX units, they are the old ones. That list above that you indicated "In that case, the S12II is the best option", is indicative of the majority of places where we see any of the veteran members or builders make recommendations for those older Seasonic units at. So why are they no ok unless somebody specifically points out to you that the majority of the units you want to recommend in favor of them are NOT available in the regions where we are MAINLY seeing them be recommended?

Clearly, regardless of what you say, you have a hard on for Seasonic. Practically every veteran member on this site sees it, and agrees. We agree with you that there are better units, although some of the units you recommend simply because they have protections lacking on some older units, are units I'd rather take my chances without the protections on. The problem isn't that you recommend against these units, it's that you recommend against them instantly, without even bothering to find out if there ARE any better units available to that person OR if the ten dollar difference between an S12II and whatever unit it is you are recommend in place of them is going to be a deal breaker that they simply cannot swing or not.

Not every person that can, barely, afford a 40 dollar S12II-620, can afford a 50 dollar ANYTHING else. Especially in other countries. Often, they are scraping the barrel clean to afford those, and for them, these are outstanding units compared to the rest of what is available to them. The list above has units on it that don't even come close to being as bad as half of what most these middle eastern and upper European members, even a lot of South American members as well, want to try and get by with because it's what's predominantly available to them.

That Rhomutech unit is probably a very good example of what I'm talking about. Much like the iBalls and Circle's of the world.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

To go through this with you for the umpteeth time

290mv? Honey get the first extinguisher this ones gonna burn the house down! Where does this cause performance issues or system damage ever? It doesn't.

No sleep states! Oh no! Better have that extinguisher ready. Its an old PSU we know this.

No OCP? OH NO! it has OPP, its a single rail PSU where OCP doesn't matter when you have OPP https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193-21.html It also does have OVP, UVP, and SCP. Show me exactly where you can prove it doesnt have UVP on the 12v rail, because it does per Seasonic http://www2.seasonic.com/product/s12ii-620/ . While you are correct it doesn't have OTP, however it does have a thermally controlled fan circuit, and another implementation of OTP is to use such a circuit to trigger one of the other supervisor ICs to shut it down. So it doesn't have an OTP ic, but absent proof otherwise theres a good chance its still protected.

OK you're correct all those tests aren't out there, because they weren't common at the time of its introduction. Again, where are you reading that this PSU is failing, breaking, burning up systems, crashing, underpowering GPUs, or damaging equipment. Where? please produce some proof?

Seasonic IS the best in the business, they still sell this unit everywhere with a 5 year warranty. Why would the top manufacturer of PSUs with a major reputation to protect be selling a PSU that is so super dangerous and bad (per your theories), be selling and covering this unit? If all the issues you point out are major, where are all the posts on forums about these PSUs failing people and damaging equipment? We have folks (Mods and members alike) whom have been using this exact unit for years with no issues whatsoever. On the other hand we can easily point out PSUs that do cause problems, like the prior generation Corsair CX where you can find infinite threads of folks who had issues with them.

Oh and where is the proof of the spurious statement about why they still make the S12/M12 you made earlier that I called you out on?

Now I'm going to put my moderator hat on and leave you with this. You have just come off a ban for derailing threads and thats exactly what you have done here more than once since you've returned, in some cases like I just mentioned with outright made up information. If you want to respond to whatever I said above you can privately message me, otherwise leave this thread, and stop derailing threads. If you do choose to reply, it will be your final one.

Really?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15694

Do you still want to believe that to be true? You can if you want. The rest of us aren't buying it.

Many of them. Many, many of them. Probably 15-20 of them over the last five years, plus a couple four or five in the three years prior to that. ALL still running fine, even in post-Haswell systems. Which, by the way, it turns out that the entire C6/C7 concerns were far overblown by Intel. So while I'd still probably recommend disabling those two C states when running a group regulated unit, there is a fair amount of information out there from some pretty prominent members of the PSU enthusiast and review community indicating that it's likely and even probable, that that isn't even necessary.

If anybody disbelieves that, I'll be happy to find some links to the confirmations of the fact.

TRENDING THREADS