Is the Seasonic S12II enough for my PC?

Aug 20, 2018
Hello guys.

So I'm having a lot of troubles with my current PSU lately. I have the Corsair VS550 right now, and I have been having a lot of troubles with it when gaming, it reboots after a short time playing.
After monitoring the temperatures while gaming, both my GPU and CPU reach 50°C max, and testing my RAM has shown no issues I figured out it has to be the PSU. I've also read bad reviews about the VS series, which also made me come to this conclusion.

I've been looking for decent PSUs, and since I'm kinda on a low budget, I cannot afford a expensive one at the moment and I came across the Seasonic S12II. I've read good reviews about this PSU, and since everybody agrees with Seasonic being the best PSU manufacturer, I'd like to have a last opinion on it, if it is enough for my system I'll buy it tomorrow and hopefully I can play without having to worry about my pc rebooting again.

i5 4460
8GM ram 4x2
AMD HD 7900 series (R9 280 to be specific)

Solution
Where are you seeing a reputable review of ANY BeQuiet System power 9 model?

Because I don't see any REPUTABLE reviews.

And I only see TWO reviews at ALL. Both are non-english and from sites that I honestly would have to take with a shaker full of salt when compared to places like here, JG, Hardware secrets, HardOCP, etc. If you have some kind of magical resource for PSU reviews that the rest of us mortals don't have access to, by all means, please share it with us.

Otherwise, the reviews that exist on the older Seasonic units suggest that they are

1)Still good compared to the majority of units available in most countries that are not the US, UK, Canada, Australia or parts of Europe. I assure you, the Corsair CX units available...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The Seasonic is solid device. It uses a mature design that has withstood the test of time quite well. There are better, more capable solutions, depending on your budget and availability in your area.

Personally, I would have no issue using this PSU. Do you have a budget and preference from where to get computer parts?

Aug 20, 2018

I was taking a look at this PSU because it's around 60€. I cannot spend more than that sadly, else I would have bought a better one for future upgrades and stuff.

I am also looking at some Cooler Master PSUs, are Cooler Master psu any good? I'm not really familiar with the psus, it seems that the Watt they say they supply is not always equal to its performance or the actual watt they can supply.

I've also took a look at the be quiet! system power 9 600W, but according to some reviews it is not that good.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
The S12ii has mediocre voltage regulation and lacking protections.

The System Power 9 is better than the S12ii. The Pure Power 10 500 would be better.
The Cooler Master MasterWatt 450/550/650 are also good.

and since everybody agrees with Seasonic being the best PSU manufacturer,
That's BS. Don't choose by brand.

but there is a reason why they're still making them
According to Seasonic Rep it's because it sells well (therefore "good"), and they don't have the resources to update the platform.

Could you link to specific retailers you're buying from?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

If you're going to make such a claim why don't you cite a source?

OP despite the above naysayer whom apparently Seasonic kicked his dog, they are the top PSU manufacturer. Yes the S12II is an old platform, and yes there are better choices because of that, but depending on your price point and whats available in stores to you it may well be the best choice. So you've given a budget, how about some links to where you can buy from? If theres anything better we can find it, if not, the Seasonic is the way to go.

Stick with the S12II and you will be fine.

And you are correct the be quiet units aren't all that great, the S12II is better.

Aug 20, 2018
Thanks for all the answers guys, I already bought a PSU and it seems my problems have dissapeared. The Corsair VS550 was just not enough for my needs, finally I can use my computer without worrying about my pc rebooting.

Thanks for the help, you may now close this thread!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Glad to help, Did you buy the Seasonic?

Aug 20, 2018

Not really mate, they sadly ran out of that one when I was in the store today. Bought a different one, the Rhombutech MP-800P, same price but 800W. Should be enough for now until I can afford a new system with a high quality psu.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't be fooled by rexper's naysay. In reality, he knows a serious amount about psus and platforms and the psu business and is quite often privy to info most ppl, even some of us who have a clue, don't know enough about. As such, he tends to be biased towards better units or newer units with better designs and/or outputs.

Yes, the old S/M12-II and it's varients in XFX and Antec are a tried and true workhorse psu and while not fully as protected as newer dc-dc designs, at the time they didn't have to be. And their protective circuitry does actually work as intended, unlike many units whose protective points are set so high as to be pointless.

Are newer designs better? Yep, sure are, in just about every way in a decent psu, but that does not mean that some older group regulated designs are now useless.

So don't be hard on rexper, his intentions are good, and advice is pretty solid

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yikes, I'd be really careful with that one, housefire quality.

WOW that's pretty bad....

I recommend taking it back.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I couldn't find a ton of info on it, what I could find showed me a cheap junk built multi rail PSU that likely doesn't put out nearly 800w. Its a black box PSU made by some OEM with a label slapped on to it. Cheap low end capacitors, missing or no protections. Not 80+ rated. Its dangerous yes.

If you can return it I would, and you should show us a link to where you can buy parts from and we can help pick one out.

Aug 20, 2018

Yeah I will do so tomorrow in the morning. I went to a local store and asked for psu, he showed me this 800W for 60€, and honestly my first thought was that there is something fishy. I guess my lack of patient got me there to be honest.

I will return this tomorrow if I can, and take a ride to the next city which has a store with the Season S12II available.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Thats the best possible idea. Yes an 800w PSU for 60€ is fishy, trust your instincts next time:)

Aug 20, 2018

Yeah I was just too impatient, was really tired of having my computer rebooting when I was playing demanding games

So this is a list of the available PSUs within my price range in the store.

Ultron RealPower RP600 ECO
Thermaltake Smart RGB
Thermaltake TR2 S 600W
Thermaltake Berlin 630W
Thermaltake Smart SE 630W
Seasonic S12II-620Bronze

I guess the best pick would be the Seasonic one?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Seasonic, the rest are junk.

No offense Karadjgne, but I think somebody has you fooled. Not long ago, he knew next to nothing about power supplies. Much like Turkey when he first joined up here. Now he's an expert? An industry insider? That's all I'm going to say about that.

Yeah, the longest operating power supply manufacturer next to Delta and arguably the most respected in the business, is going to go bye bye? C'mon.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nah db, I've read a bunch of posts from rexper on other sites, conversations he's had with ppl like Aris over the inner workings of a psu. They got technical enough that even I got lost. He might not be close to JG's caliber, but he ain't no slouch. Still have no idea why he hates on Seasonic though, but he does at least offer multiple other options from less popular, but just as good units.