Is the temperature on my AMD FX-6300 too high ?

xX One JJ Xx

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
Alright, I know that my CPU stock fan is on correctly and there is good cable management along with an extra Cooler master fan at the top of my case. The main question is that I would like to know if there is any good program out there that can give me good temperature readings. I'm currently using Core Temp and when playing battlefield 4 on high it gets to about 64°C. When I play H1Z1 it does that as well. The highest I've ever seen it was about 65°C but that was one time only. Should I buy a new cpu fan or is there anything else anyone would like to recommend ?

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Case: Enermax ECA3290A-G ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor

captainmumoy

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015
hyper evo 212 will be your best friend there.am3+ processors get crappy cooling fans, they are OK for stock but barely, if you get a hyper evo 212, use PEA sized amount of thermal paste in the center and install your temps will drop to about 40-52 under load. HWMonitor is a good program to get a just of the temps. depending where your vents are, look to see if can run one in from pushing air into case and see if can have 1-2 at the back to vent it out (or top)

captainmumoy

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015
"Safe CPU temperatures are 60 degrees Celsius and below. It may still run fine with CPU temperatures, exceeding 60C threshold by a few degrees. Running the FX-6300 close to 70 degrees and higher is not recommended."

If thats core temp then yes agreed.
In essence I personally don't trust core temp on amd hardware - its sometime terribly inaccurate.
Id use hwinfo64 for background temp monitoring along with afterburners in game osd.
xX One JJ Xx- if you want to know 100% if your system is running within temp specs then download amd overdrive
http://www.amd.com/en-us/markets/game/downloads/overdrive

Install ,run it - open CPU status tab.

Download & run prime95
http://www.mersenne.org/download/

With both tab onscreen run a standard blend test for 5 minutes.

Keep an eye on thermal margin temps,these count down to 0 under load - as long as you stay 5c or over you are fine - no game out there will stress the CPU as much as prime on all cores & you'll never see those temps under any kind of gaming use.

You can stop the test manually after a few minutes.