Is the Upgrade from i7 7700K to 8700K neccessary?

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
I've been sitting on a brand new i7 7700k and a ASUS Z270 E Strix. Mobo for a year. I'm finally about to start building a new gaming/entertainment PC. My current setup is a i5 4690K which i'll be moving to the main living room.

I plan on pairing the new setup with an 1080 or 1080ti. with the new build. However I am curious should I sell the new parts and use the funds to get an 8700K and mobo or should I just keep what I have?

Side note I also have a i5 3500K that I use for an all purpose setup I am replacing that with an Ryzen 7 1700X and pairing it with a GTX 1070 Thoughts? The i5 4690K is paired with the 1070 when I move it to the family room I'll be pairing it with GTX 970. and using the the 1070 for the Ryzen 7 build.

Thanks in advance

Solution
The only benefit of the 8700K is 2 more cores and 4 more threads. In a more multithreaded intensive task that would benefit. Overall they will perform very similarly with gaming so that's what you have to use to determine if it is worth the value. I would say no.

On your second question, the Ryzen and 1070 should work well together.
The only benefit of the 8700K is 2 more cores and 4 more threads. In a more multithreaded intensive task that would benefit. Overall they will perform very similarly with gaming so that's what you have to use to determine if it is worth the value. I would say no.

On your second question, the Ryzen and 1070 should work well together.

Solution

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013

Thanks for your input Jimmy. Yeah it would be strictly for gaming and entertainment. I was gift both CPU's and I pretty much decided to use the Ryzen Processor for my multipurpose use setup. I see myself doing several tasks on it. mostly web use and coding and optioning some light gaming.

But the 7700K is all gaming and entertainment. Do you think I'll have any bottleneck issue with it and 1080ti. I wouldnt mind if NVIDIA dropped a new series this year save me some money on picking up a 1080ti or two

The 7700K shouldn't be a bottleneck at most higher up resolutions.

Also nVidia is planning to launch their new GPU in August based on the Turing arch. Some rumors put it at an either 8GB or 16GB VRAM and quite a bit more power than the 1080 Ti. Of course we will have to wait till confirmation in August but considering the GTX 1080 came out and beat the GTX 980 Ti and made their prices drop I can see that happening with the GTX 1180 or 2080 or whatever they plan to call it.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-turing-faq,37067.html

So if you can hold out till then you might be able to pick up a 1080 Ti for a bit cheaper.

There's a youtuber named Game Meld that supposedly has leaked info from a board partner saying the GTX 1180 has 8GB of VRAM, is gonna cost ~$720, and is getting released July 30th. Maybe it's right maybe it's not but it sounds somewhat reasonable based on recent gpu prices.

EDIT: Gamer Meld