[SOLVED] Is the Valve Index Really Worth It?

I'm itching to get into PC VR, after a mostly unsatisfying experience with PSVR (limited library and awful tracking). After some research, I've landed on what seems to be the best VR setup for my needs; the Valve Index. This thing comes with a ridiculous $1k price tag though, and that's a lot. I'd pay that much for a good PC, but just for VR? I'm not so sure. Is it really worth it? Are there any issues that stand out with the Index that make other options more worth taking a look at (besides an 8 week shipping window)?

Here's what I'd value most from a VR setup:

• Superb motion tracking quality from both the headset and controllers
  • 360 degree tracking and movement
  • Wide library of games to choose from
  • A good quality display

Solution
I've had a valve index for a while. It's quite possibly the BMW of headsets. Comfortable to wear, excellent tracking, high refresh rate, excellent resolutions, decent FOV, and good sound. Comfort is reasonable, however to get a good focus (Sweet spot) for my head the headset isn't in the most comfortable position. God rays and blooming are visible but only if you look for it. Pixel structure is better than HTC.

Games like Beat Saber and HL:Alyx look incredible and don't take a monster GPU. I can run 144Hz for Beat Saber and run 120Hz for HL:Alyx with little in terms of reprojection. However other games aren't as well optimized. Jurassic Park Blue for example goes into constant re-projection even at 90Hz. Star Wars Vader...
I've had a valve index for a while. It's quite possibly the BMW of headsets. Comfortable to wear, excellent tracking, high refresh rate, excellent resolutions, decent FOV, and good sound. Comfort is reasonable, however to get a good focus (Sweet spot) for my head the headset isn't in the most comfortable position. God rays and blooming are visible but only if you look for it. Pixel structure is better than HTC.

Games like Beat Saber and HL:Alyx look incredible and don't take a monster GPU. I can run 144Hz for Beat Saber and run 120Hz for HL:Alyx with little in terms of reprojection. However other games aren't as well optimized. Jurassic Park Blue for example goes into constant re-projection even at 90Hz. Star Wars Vader Immortal is questionable at 90Hz. Job simulator is another questionable one in terms of 90Hz. The later one passes with little on reprojection, but it's close to the 11.1 ms frame time limit constantly.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x CPU
Memory: 3600Mhz 32GB RAM. (8x4)
GPU: AMD 5700XT + 20% Power limit

That said, knuckles individual finger control isn't always correct. A wrap (finger roll) of your fingers USUALLY fixes the issue. I think valve should stick finger molds (ridges) to help with placement of fingers.

Long term reliability is also an issue. There's problems with the headset data cord wearing out, and the base tracking stations malfunctioning. They are basically high speed spinning mirrors. There's also a problem with thumb stick drift over time.

It does come with a year warranty on parts, but at the end of the year, be prepared to dish out for repairs. Hopefully Valve offers a replacement cable soon. The other items are more "stomach-able", but not cheap for replacements. I think hand controllers are something absurd like $280. Headset $500. Light house 2.0 (Tracking stations) are $150 EACH.

Be prepared to buy extra face mask. If you have a family, get one for each of them. They do stink after a time.

So its kind of like owning a BMW. It's a darn nice experience, but it will bend you over when it breaks.

Reactions: DrummerManSpike
Solution
Thank you!! That was exactly the kind of response I was looking for. Most commercial reviewers only cover the initial experience and leave out long term result details.

How often would you say you use yours? Is it something that will only degrade like that with heavy frequent use or will it happen in roughly the same time regardless of usage? I don't plan to use mine every single day, or very frequently at all considering how few major titles are available for VR. I also get pretty tired after only an hour of PSVR lmao.

I saw the extra face masks were super cheap compared to everything else so I'm not too worried about replacements there. The base stations could be an issue though, the Index stations are currently sold out and the Vive Pro version costs $200 (yikes). Guess I'll have to check on the status of those once my 8-week window closes and I'm actually able to purchase.

Thank you!! That was exactly the kind of response I was looking for. Most commercial reviewers only cover the initial experience and leave out long term result details.

How often would you say you use yours? Is it something that will only degrade like that with heavy frequent use or will it happen in roughly the same time regardless of usage? I don't plan to use mine every single day, or very frequently at all considering how few major titles are available for VR. I also get pretty tired after only an hour of PSVR lmao.

I saw the extra face masks were super cheap compared to everything else so I'm not too worried about replacements there. The base stations could be an issue though, the Index stations are currently sold out and the Vive Pro version costs $200 (yikes). Guess I'll have to check on the status of those once my 8-week window closes and I'm actually able to purchase.

Most people start to notice problems at the 1000 hour mark. (Or the reviewers say) The newer 2020 model has some minor enhancements to the headset cable tie downs , which I think will help with the cable issue. HOWEVER I noticed odd wear points in my cable after one months use (maybe 30 hours worth)

Word is Valve is working on a wireless adapter which would solve a lot of that issue.

The lighthouse version 1.0 (Vive Pro) has two rotation motors which is why it cost more. And therefore it is likely more prone to error.

Reactions: DrummerManSpike

felicityc

Prominent
Feb 19, 2020
There seems to be consensus that the index has longevity issues. But Valve seems to be WAYYY more on top of support for it than Facebook is for Oculus, and I don't know about HTC.

I got a Quest and have a PC to run it well on link/virtual desktop but frankly 72hz is not enough, and while it was an amazing intro to VR I knew I had to go index as soon as I could.

What's really cool about the quest is you can buy some IR illuminators (normally for security cameras), set them up in your backyard or room with the lights off, and play via wifi streaming from your PC at pretty acceptable latency overhead- low enough that the fact I have nothing tethering me is more impactful than the latency.

Problem is insight tracking is great and all, but it has its flaws when you send a controller out of view, or do something too fast.

but.. I was sold on keeping it until the index was available simply because I could spin around without any rotational controls in blade & sorcery and have lightsaber duels without worrying about tripping or tugging a cable, even one suspended

however.. i think long term reliability is an issue for every headset aside from the chunky early ones. as tech gets more advanced inevitably we enter a period of 'it's a bit ahead of its time' and the real problems haven't been seen yet or corrected. VR is getting more popular for various reasons, so it's going to see those problems solved sooner if the market stays in demand.

really... I bought an underpowered headset for how decent my pc is (8700k oc'd, 2070 super, etc) and the trouble is that the display just isn't meant for a good pc. that's the saddest part. i think new revisions of all the hardware will be fantastic in the upcoming couple of years as all these flaws are figured out and new ones are made anyway

I was considering the Quest after Linus's review of the newer features and compatibilities, but the performance itself was what turned me away from it. If I'm dropping a decent amount of cash for VR I wanna make sure I'm getting the best possible experience in-game.

I really really appreciate the input! It's a huge help.