Is the world ready for X-Box 360?

You know, I'm as pumped as anyone about the new system's possibilities...
but...

The current X-Box is still kicking ass with all sort of great new games...
Doom 3, Project Snowblind, Halo 2, Jade Empire, KOTOR 2, Splinter Cell: CT,
etc. I can't help but think that MS could get at LEAST another good 1.5
years out of the current system, without intriducing a new piece of
hardware.

Rowdy J wrote:
> You know, I'm as pumped as anyone about the new system's
> possibilities... but...
>
> The current X-Box is still kicking ass with all sort of great new
> games... Doom 3, Project Snowblind, Halo 2, Jade Empire, KOTOR 2,
> Splinter Cell: CT, etc. I can't help but think that MS could get at
> LEAST another good 1.5 years out of the current system, without
> intriducing a new piece of hardware.

Yup. Especially considering they seem to be gaining on Sony. At least
in the US.

"Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> You know, I'm as pumped as anyone about the new system's possibilities...
> but...
>
> The current X-Box is still kicking ass with all sort of great new games...
> Doom 3, Project Snowblind, Halo 2, Jade Empire, KOTOR 2, Splinter Cell:
> CT, etc. I can't help but think that MS could get at LEAST another good
> 1.5 years out of the current system, without intriducing a new piece of
> hardware.

MS is definitely kicking ass as well as continuing to play their hand
smartly...they've built up an irresistable momentum (similar to Sony's
position leading up to the PS2) that both Sony and Nintendo are going to
have a helluva time countering, especially considering how awesome LIVE is
as a service and the recent news of top shelf third party support. What's
important to note is that all next gen systems are going to be able to push
even the best available hdtvs/digital audio systems to their absolute
limits, making "the strongest hardware" argument irrelevant, tomorrows
concole battle will be about agility, or being able to handle music, media,
games, voice, video, movies, etc. the only things that MS can do to slow
the xbox brand's currently momentum would be to not offer backwards
compatability coupled with only a handful of launch titles. I personally
don't think they'll make either either of those mistakes.

that being said. I'm totally jazzed at having 720p as a minimum baseline,
enough so that I may actually buy a launch console again (a practice I
completely swore off after buying the current gen xbox at launch).

Is the world ready? I know I am!

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 00:02:43 GMT, "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>You know, I'm as pumped as anyone about the new system's possibilities...
>but...
>
>The current X-Box is still kicking ass with all sort of great new games...
>Doom 3, Project Snowblind, Halo 2, Jade Empire, KOTOR 2, Splinter Cell: CT,
>etc. I can't help but think that MS could get at LEAST another good 1.5
>years out of the current system, without intriducing a new piece of
>hardware.

They probably could but Microsoft doesn't want to release at the same
time as PS3, which is probably a good idea. I've heard stories, or I
should say more likely rumors that Microsoft is still losing money on
every xbox sold so that is at least partially fueling their desire to
release a more bottom line friendly system by the end of the year.

Mikec

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004

"Imperium" <frankmelo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 00:02:43 GMT, "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
>>You know, I'm as pumped as anyone about the new system's possibilities...
>>but...
>>
>>The current X-Box is still kicking ass with all sort of great new games...
>>Doom 3, Project Snowblind, Halo 2, Jade Empire, KOTOR 2, Splinter Cell:
>>CT,
>>etc. I can't help but think that MS could get at LEAST another good 1.5
>>years out of the current system, without intriducing a new piece of
>>hardware.
>>

> They probably could but Microsoft doesn't want to release at the same
> time as PS3, which is probably a good idea. I've heard stories, or I
> should say more likely rumors that Microsoft is still losing money on
> every xbox sold so that is at least partially fueling their desire to
> release a more bottom line friendly system by the end of the year.

Friendly to their bottom line means UNfriendly to ours.