Is the X79 chipset getting outdated?

Snapzz3

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
I'm looking to buy a new motherboard and CPU soon and i was just wondering if the X79 chipset are getting old/outdated? Would it be wise of me to go for the X79 or just stick to the newer Z87?

Solution
I would wait a little, it isn't outdated but it is about to be replaced by the X99 chipset soon, which will have DDR4 ram and support the i7 5xxxk series CPU's as well as 4xxxk series CPU's, Wait for that titan motherboard.

Z87 is much more modern, it has more USB 3.0 outputs and SATA 6GB/s outputs, which can be said it is greater on features, but LGA 2011 supports 40 lanes of bandwidth, whilst LGA 1150 only supports 28, making multi-GPU configuration much better on a X79/LGA 2011 System.
I would wait a little, it isn't outdated but it is about to be replaced by the X99 chipset soon, which will have DDR4 ram and support the i7 5xxxk series CPU's as well as 4xxxk series CPU's, Wait for that titan motherboard.

Z87 is much more modern, it has more USB 3.0 outputs and SATA 6GB/s outputs, which can be said it is greater on features, but LGA 2011 supports 40 lanes of bandwidth, whilst LGA 1150 only supports 28, making multi-GPU configuration much better on a X79/LGA 2011 System.

Solution

dgingeri

Distinguished
As an X79 owner, I can tell you the X79 is already outdated. The lack of 6Gb SATA ports and USB3 controller shows just how outdated it is. I have to run an extra raid controller just to get the number of 6Gb SATA ports I want, plus an extra USB3 controller to get enough ports for what I run. It actually has prevented me from the very reason I wanted an X79 system in the first place: triple SLi. It's annoying, and I'm anxiously awaiting the Haswell-E release later this year. It should only be a few more months off, from what I've read.