[SOLVED] Is there a AM4 motherboard with 8 ram slots?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2808222
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2808222

Two questions here:

1. Is there a motherboard that has 8 ram slots and supports AM4 CPUs?
  2. Does the Ryzen 5950X support 256GB RAM?

Solution
Two questions here:

All the AM4 CPUs are dual channel memory controllers. Eight slots would not work well on a dual channel memory controller CPU. Too much loading for the memory controller to drive. If you want that much RAM, you need to look at Threadripper or Intel Xeon.

kanewolf

Titan
Two questions here:

All the AM4 CPUs are dual channel memory controllers. Eight slots would not work well on a dual channel memory controller CPU. Too much loading for the memory controller to drive. If you want that much RAM, you need to look at Threadripper or Intel Xeon.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2808222

Will an AM4 CPU work well with four 32GB RAM sticks?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes and no.
Infinity Fabric can have an issue with high speed ram in 4x populated slots, so will work just fine if you run 2133/2400/2666MHz (depending on cpu series) for all 4, some may hit 2933MHz and very few can hit and remain stable at 3200MHz.

So you'll not get 3600MHz on a 4 slot population.
Rank is a ram design, Channel is motherboard, not the same thing. Single or Dual Rank ram makes a difference too.

Amd has basically made it to where you have a 4 slot workhorse or a 2 slot racehorse, but not both.

D

Deleted member 2808222

Yes and no.
Infinity Fabric can have an issue with high speed ram in 4x populated slots, so will work just fine if you run 2133/2400/2666MHz (depending on cpu series) for all 4, some may hit 2933MHz and very few can hit and remain stable at 3200MHz.

So you'll not get 3600MHz on a 4 slot population.
Rank is a ram design, Channel is motherboard, not the same thing. Single or Dual Rank ram makes a difference too.

Amd has basically made it to where you have a 4 slot workhorse or a 2 slot racehorse, but not both.
Interesting, what about intels CPUs? Do their latest CPUs support 4 RAM modules at 3200 or 3600mhz? I’m thinking of getting an i9-11900K or i7-11700K if I won’t be getting a CPU from AMD.

D

Deleted member 2808222

What is the purpose for this build? Maybe you are focusing on high RAM clock speed where it won't benefit you.
This is what I believe I would use my computer for in the future:
~ 75% Music Production in FL Studio.
~ 20% 4K 2D & 3D Rendering in After Effects.
~ 5% Photo Editing in Photoshop & Lightroom.
The CPU Single Core Performance is the importance of this build.

For some programs a higher RAM clock speed wont make a big difference but each slightest improvement I can get would be good!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For cpu single core performance you have 2 choices. AMD 5000 series or Intel 10th Gen.

For music production you won't need power as much as silence, I'd suggest over-cooling any cpu with the quietest possible cooling solutions.

For anything 4k/3d, that's going to involve large ram, high dollar gpu, but not necessarily RTX, but the Quadro series is more suited. Something like a P4000 or better.

Photoshop/lightroom same.