Is there a big picture difference between 16.7 million vs 1.2 billion colors?

vantranist

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
I don't know much about monitors but is it worth it to get a monitor that has 1.2 billion colors instead of 16.7 million colors? Or is there more to it than just the numbers?

Trying to decide between

Tempest X270OC
BenQ GW Series GW2765HT
BenQ BL2710PT
or the ASUS one that I forgot the name of.

I have a g1 970 Vid card

What I am trying to do is get the best possible picture while playing games while also having a low response time 5ms or lower.

The tempest is an IPS monitor that actually goes over 60hz but I am unsure of its image quality over the other monitors because its an off name brand and there warranty is kind of scary.

I am trying to stay away from TN panals because of the terrible color reproduction and I think 4ms response time on an IPS is such a small number it will be unnoticeable between a TN panels 1-2ms response time.

Can anyone recommend me a good monitor that's IPS (or has amazing color) with a low response time that's 27" and 1440p?

Solution
I would stay away from the Tempest. With the colors 1.2 billion is more accurate, however this is mainly for graphic designers or photographers who need a more accurate color reproduction or different color standards (sRBG ect.) There is not a noticeable difference with the response times for 60 Hz when you are below 5 ms. Ips displays are generally higher quality and produce better images, however this is not always the case. I would recommend the Asus PB278Q. I have it, and it is very nice.

Andre3200

Reputable
May 18, 2014
I would stay away from the Tempest. With the colors 1.2 billion is more accurate, however this is mainly for graphic designers or photographers who need a more accurate color reproduction or different color standards (sRBG ect.) There is not a noticeable difference with the response times for 60 Hz when you are below 5 ms. Ips displays are generally higher quality and produce better images, however this is not always the case. I would recommend the Asus PB278Q. I have it, and it is very nice.

Solution