Is there a bootable OS or some software where i could plug in temporaly to transfer files between 2 HDDs

evinodsalim

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017
My primary hard disk with Windows 10 started to click recently and it freezes in the middle of the sessions. so I bought a new harddisk and installed Windows 10, I need to transfer some important data from my previous hard disk without booting to its OS,as I don't trust the culprit and tho it still works for some extent, will there be a chance of transferring data to my new HDD by connecting it to a PC by some other bootable software without booting windows 10

Solution
To be REALLY sure, get a USB dock.
Put the old drive in that, and only turn it on after the regular OS is booted up.

If the old drive is failing/clicking, the system may not boot up if that drive is connected during power on. OS or no OS.
Boot into windows on the new drive and have the old drive as your secondary, then just transfer any data you need to the new drive.

I would be no different then using a ubuntu live boot cd since both drives would still have to be present and running to transfer data between them.

USAFRet

Titan
To be REALLY sure, get a USB dock.
Put the old drive in that, and only turn it on after the regular OS is booted up.

If the old drive is failing/clicking, the system may not boot up if that drive is connected during power on. OS or no OS.

Solution