[SOLVED] Is there a bottleneck in the following i9 system?

Solution
Does single vs dual really make that big a difference? I always thought that having dual channel may give small boost in performance like 5-7%.

Really depends on your workloads.... in some instances the impact will be small. But with a CPU of that magnitude, you're really doing it a disservice with single-channel.

Not directly comparable (Ryzen APU, Gaming, 720p, CPU intensive game), but demonstrates the poiint:

MemScaling.png

https://www.techspot.com/review/1574-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-and-ryzen-3-2200g/page8.html

The 570 won't be a 'problem' and is still a solid GPU. The CPU could certainly pair with much, much stronger GPUs.... but as a temporary solution, it's...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Every system has a 'bottleneck', where/what will depend on not just your system, but also use-case.

In this scenario specifically, the single channel memory will definitely be leaving performance on the table with that CPU. For web browsing or something, it's not going to matter much. For anything more heavy-hitting, it likely will.

Reactions: helper800

Arbaaz360

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
Every system has a 'bottleneck', where/what will depend on not just your system, but also use-case.

In this scenario specifically, the single channel memory will definitely be leaving performance on the table with that CPU. For web browsing or something, it's not going to matter much. For anything more heavy-hitting, it likely will.
Does single vs dual really make that big a difference? I always thought that having dual channel may give small boost in performance like 5-7%.
The reason I plan on getting a single channel 32GB RAM is that I want to buy another one later. At which point I will have dual channel. The reason for posting this here was that I am not sure if the cooler and motherboard are adequate for the CPU.
I have an old AMD RX 570 (not to be confused with 5700) GPU that I will be using . Do you think that might create problems? As CPU is much more powerful than GPU. I don't plan on upgrading GPU because they are quite expensive these days and I am into gaming. I am however going to be editing 4k, 5k GoPro videos in adobe premiere or davinci resolve. As for GPU it's either AMD 570 or none. Because my budget doesn't accommodate upgrading it.

kanewolf

Titan
The reason I plan on getting a single channel 32GB RAM is that I want to buy another one later. At which point I will have dual channel. The reason for posting this here was that I am not sure if the cooler and motherboard are adequate for the CPU.
I have an old AMD RX 570 (not to be confused with 5700) GPU that I will be using . Do you think that might create problems? As CPU is much more powerful than GPU. I don't plan on upgrading GPU because they are quite expensive these days and I am into gaming. I am however going to be editing 4k, 5k GoPro videos in adobe premiere or davinci resolve. As for GPU it's either AMD 570 or none. Because my budget doesn't accommodate upgrading it.
You are only providing 1/2 the memory bandwidth to the CPU. It has to wait, a lot, to get data/code from main memory. The bandwidth to the GPU is also cut in 1/2.
Single channel is a bad idea when spending $600 for a CPU.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Really depends on your workloads.... in some instances the impact will be small. But with a CPU of that magnitude, you're really doing it a disservice with single-channel.

Not directly comparable (Ryzen APU, Gaming, 720p, CPU intensive game), but demonstrates the poiint:

MemScaling.png

https://www.techspot.com/review/1574-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-and-ryzen-3-2200g/page8.html

The 570 won't be a 'problem' and is still a solid GPU. The CPU could certainly pair with much, much stronger GPUs.... but as a temporary solution, it's fine.

Solution

Arbaaz360

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016

MemScaling.png

The 570 won't be a 'problem' and is still a solid GPU. The CPU could certainly pair with much, much stronger GPUs.... but as a temporary solution, it's fine.
Understood. I will get dual channel from the get go. But what about the cooler and the motherboard? Are they sufficient? Of course more expensive is always better (generally speaking) but do I really need to spend more on cooler and motherboard?

Arbaaz360

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
You are only providing 1/2 the memory bandwidth to the CPU. It has to wait, a lot, to get data/code from main memory. The bandwidth to the GPU is also cut in 1/2.
Single channel is a bad idea when spending $600 for a CPU.

Understood. What do you think about the motherboard and cooler? Are they enough?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Cooler is fine. The 12900K can get hot, and bigger (not necessarily more expensive) wouldn't be a 'bad' choice, but the 240 LiquidFreezer should do ok.

The Z690-P is.. "fine". Lower-end of the product stack of course. You could do 'better', for more money. For what it is, I don't see any issues.

Arbaaz360

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
Cooler is fine. The 12900K can get hot, and bigger (not necessarily more expensive) wouldn't be a 'bad' choice, but the 240 LiquidFreezer should do ok.

The Z690-P is.. "fine". Lower-end of the product stack of course. You could do 'better', for more money. For what it is, I don't see any issues.
Please excuse me for my lack of knowledge. But how would a more expensive or "better" motherboard add value? Will there be performance improvements? What am I missing out by going with Z690-P?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Please excuse me for my lack of knowledge. But how would a more expensive or "better" motherboard add value? Will there be performance improvements? What am I missing out by going with Z690-P?

That's why i quoted "better".... objectively, there are improved VRMs etc, subjectively there are better looking boards, etc. Functionality-wise, the Z690-P is "fine". If you're not pushing heavy overclocks or anything, there's very little value in spending more.

Which one would you recommend that will do the job and not force me into selling kidney?

I'm with Kanewolf, in preferring air coolers, but to each their own.

The LF 240 is a ~$90 AIO? For air coolers, at a similar pricepoint & that fit in the 4000D, consider things like the NH-D15/D15S, Assassin III, Dark Rock Pro 4, Scythe Mugen 5. All viable options for similar money.

Arbaaz360

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
Thank you @Barty1884 and @kanewolf that was really helpful. I think I am going to stick to Z690-P since it seems to be value for money. I'll go with dual channel memory as suggested here. And as for cooler I think i will go with NH-D15. It seems to be a very popular choice on the internet.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Thank you @Barty1884 and @kanewolf that was really helpful. I think I am going to stick to Z690-P since it seems to be value for money. I'll go with dual channel memory as suggested here. And as for cooler I think i will go with NH-D15. It seems to be a very popular choice on the internet.

The D15 has long been top dog. There is a successor coming, supposed to be 2022, but who knows. Nothing wrong with it at all (other than size, which sin't for everyone or every case). There is also the regular variant and the Chromax, blackout variant. That's a completely personal call, but the Chromax tends to be preferred for the aesthetics.

Arbaaz360

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
The D15 has long been top dog. There is a successor coming, supposed to be 2022, but who knows. Nothing wrong with it at all (other than size, which sin't for everyone or every case). There is also the regular variant and the Chromax, blackout variant. That's a completely personal call, but the Chromax tends to be preferred for the aesthetics.
I dont really care about the aesthetics in a computer. Performance, value for money and ease of use is what I base my purchases on.