Question Is there a budget AM4 motherboard for 2700x?

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Hi, I'm planning on getting a second hand ryzen 7 2700x soon for 200$, and I'll need a new motherboard for that.
From what I understand, ryzen demands a lot of power consumption, which requires a decent motherboard with high vrm(correct me if I'm wrong please).

Anyhow, it looks like as the quality goes up, so does the features, which makes it a very costly purchase. (I'm not from the US, so prices are a bit more expensive as well)
The thing is I don't really need all these features, I won't use more than 1 GPU. I do need at least 6 SATA ports. I could manage with 2 sticks of ram, 4 is recommended though.
I don't need more than 1 x PCIE x1, I don't care about RGB lights or any other cosmetic shi*t. One thing that unfortunately I do wish to have, is a PS2 slot, as I would like to install windows 7 either way. PS2 is not a must, but it will surely help.

I've seen a few 450 motherboards that look just fine, but I see in many threads that they're not really recommended.

Would love to hear some suggestions. Thanks :)

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Personally, I'd probably spend a bit more to get something that at least has heatsinks on the VRMs. But to be honest, even that one might be fine if you're not overclocking and you make sure there's decent airlflow over the VRMs.

I can actually spend more than that, anything you'd recommend? let's say around 1.5x +- the price?
My PC case also has 2 side fans which should be nice for the motherboard(if that's even related? No idea really).

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Can you provide a couple links to some online retailers you can buy motherboards from in your country?

So I live in Israel, and the website ia mostly in hebrew, so I hope it will be useful in a way, but you can try this: https://www.plonter.com/products_re...&price_totalTYPE=num&price_totalsort=1&show=1

The prices you see is in shekels, which is around 3.5 shekels = 1$

I thoght about either the Asus Prime x370 Pro, or the Asus Crosshair VI hero.

The crosshair should be better and a bit more expensive as well, but as I said, RS2 connection will be very useful for me, and I'd probably need that.

What do you think? :)
Feel free to suggest more options.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Do you care about microATX vs full size ATX at all?

I think your choices of Prime X370 Pro or Crosshair VI Hero should be fine. The B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX would also be a good option. The Prime and the Gaming Plus both have a PS/2 connector.

The X370 boards could require a BIOS upgrade to support Ryzen 2000 CPUs. But given how long those CPUs have been out I would hope most X370 boards out there would ship with a BIOS recent enough to support them.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Do you care about microATX vs full size ATX at all?

I think your choices of Prime X370 Pro or Crosshair VI Hero should be fine. The B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX would also be a good option. The Prime and the Gaming Plus both have a PS/2 connector.

The X370 boards could require a BIOS upgrade to support Ryzen 2000 CPUs. But given how long those CPUs have been out I would hope most X370 boards out there would ship with a BIOS recent enough to support them.

My PC case is Corsair 200R(https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Series™-200R-Compact-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011023-WW)

I don't care about ATX/mini ATX/micro ATX as long as it works well with it(if there is even a difference except for compatibility).

As for the 3 motherboards, according to the tier list I've posted above, the X370 Crosshair VI Hero is marked as tier B, the Prime x370 Pro is marked as tier C, and the B450 Gaming Plus Max is marked as tier D.

If the x370 had a PS2 connector, I'd probably picked that, but since it doesn't I'm currently leaning towards the Prime x370, simply because the specifications looks better to me(maybe I'm wrong?..), and it's also ranked better in the tier list I've sent you(even though I don't know if that's really true), so I believe that's my pick for the moment.

Do you have any more suggestions? I might be planning on overclocking if I could(not a must though), and do hope to have an upgrade options for ryzen 9 in the future.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The B450 Gaming Plus is Tier C, you must have been looking at the X370 Gaming Plus. I don't know how much faith I'd put in that list though.

Any of them should be fine for running a 2700X, even with overclocking. Ryzen 9 CPUs have the same TDP as the 2700X, so you should be fine there too. Overclocking a 12/16 core CPU may be a little more iffy, but from what I've seen of 3900X reviews you gain very little from overclocking it anyway.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
The B450 Gaming Plus is Tier C, you must have been looking at the X370 Gaming Plus. I don't know how much faith I'd put in that list though.

Any of them should be fine for running a 2700X, even with overclocking. Ryzen 9 CPUs have the same TDP as the 2700X, so you should be fine there too. Overclocking a 12/16 core CPU may be a little more iffy, but from what I've seen of 3900X reviews you gain very little from overclocking it anyway.

You're correct :)
Yet, I like the x370 better, so I guess that the x370 Prime Pro it is. Thanks for assisting with that!

Another question regarding a PSU, I currently have Seasonic 500W, a fairly cheap PSU that does its job well.
From what I've understood, I could keep using it and in the worst case scenario on a failure, that shouldn't really damage any component and I could just get a new PSU, what do you think?

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
I'd get a new one personally. What are you complete system specs?

Not sure if you're referring to my current specs, or what I'd like to get, so I'll write both.

My current specs are:
i5 3470 OC to 3.6 ghz
GA-B75M-D2V
12 GB RAM(8 GB + 4 GB, not recommended, I know)
GTX 770 4 GB
3 SSD's, 3 HDD's
Optical drive

I should be getting a second hand r7 2700x, the x370 prime pro, and probably 32 GB RAM(16x2).

I might just spend another 60-85$ for a new PSU just to be on the safe zone.
I assume 600W+ would be more than enough?

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
I'd recommend:
  • Seasonic
    • FOCUS
    • PRIME
  • Corsair
    • HX
    • AX
    • RMx
    • TX (TXm? - someone RECENTLY told me what the difference is between the two, and I can't for the life of me remember now)

I'll take a look into these, thanks! :)

https://www.plonter.com/detail.tmpl?sku=HCG-650G&cart=1566319720109310285

Pretty much the cheapest unit on that site I could find that I knew to be good.

Actually in terms of PSU's there's not much options there, are you familiar with the Antec VP650P? It has only 3 years of warranty as well, but I've read some recommendations about it.
I might also simply invest a little more for a decent PSU, need to think about it.

There are a few more options here if you feel like taking a look :eek:
https://www.tms.co.il/index.php?rou...014_10050&c=10050&a=0&p=1&s=p.price-ASC&l=100

It might be easier changing the options here:
View: https://i.imgur.com/SUCry7i.png