[SOLVED] Is there a chance that my CPU cooler got too much pressure and bent the pins?

Shalou

Prominent
Sep 17, 2021
Hello everyone. I got a T400i cooler by Cooler Master and it got springs under the screws. I've heard that springs prevent over-tightening the screws and bending the pins in the conclusion. I've tightened my screws until I feel them being hard to turn and after that, I've reversed them a bit. Now, is there a chance that my CPU cooler got too much pressure and bent the pins?

P.S.: I haven't seen any sudden turning off problems and etc. . It has all been running fine.

Solution
You can over tighten the screws despite the springs.

However, as I read and understand your post you were careful and rightfully reversed them off a bit thereafter.

If all is running okay, then likely all is well.

The springs real purpose is to provide some steady pressure/tension on the screws to keep the screws from working or moving loose during heating/cooling (expansion/contraction) or vibrations.

Similar to a lock washer but a bit safer to use as a means to avoid over tightening.

Ralston18

Titan
You can over tighten the screws despite the springs.

However, as I read and understand your post you were careful and rightfully reversed them off a bit thereafter.

If all is running okay, then likely all is well.

The springs real purpose is to provide some steady pressure/tension on the screws to keep the screws from working or moving loose during heating/cooling (expansion/contraction) or vibrations.

Similar to a lock washer but a bit safer to use as a means to avoid over tightening.

Reactions: Shalou
Solution