Question Is there a decent Bluetooth dongle to use with headphones on a desktop PC ?

muguetsu

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
So I bought wireless headphones and tested them with my smartphone, and I found the quality of the sound coming from the smartphone great. So the problem is not the Bluetooth itself.

So I bought a BT dongle (since the headphones did not come with one) for the desktop PC and the sound quality is not good at all. I searched for the Asus BT 500 and saw people complaining about the audio quality of this one as well. I also tried mirroring the audio from my PC to the smartphone using a USB cable and two different apps, but the quality of the sound never is as good as when the source is the smartphone

I imagine there are people here who also use it on on their desktop computer, so please I need a recommendation of a BT dongle, otherwise I will have to return the headphones -- which I would not like to do because I like them.

D

Deleted member 14196

My son has a pair of JBL Bluetooth headphones which sound pretty good. I have status, audio core headphones. They are decent as well.

muguetsu

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
those headphones supports just AAC (advanced audio codec) and SBC (subband codec), AAC on windows is limited to windows 11, on windows 10 you get only SBC
also make sure that in windows output devices your headphones are set as headphones and not headset
So, if install windows 11, the quality of the sound is going to be same as it is with the smartphone?

The problem is not the dongle at all?

muguetsu

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
@kerberos_20 I think I might have nailed down the issue

I saw on reddit people saying that enabling "Headphones" instead of "Headset" improves sound quality. However, this option is grayed out for me and I cannot enable it:

T68GTd7.png

do you know should I do? i will keep searching for an answer

well im on windows11 but it should be similar to windows 10

open control panel, then click on adress bar and copy paste there this:
Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers
then press enter
you should see something like this
4Ws2MNJ.png

right click your q30 headphones and open properties, switch to services tab and disable there handsfree and remote control, only audio related functions should remain
ng60Nzm.png

advanced audio probably wont be available as thats on win11

once done, right click q30 again and click sound settings, on audio outputs headset should be gone now, pick your headphones and check properties -> advanced page, it should be showing 2ch 16bit 44khz (for sbc)
QVKOapY.png

muguetsu

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
@kerberos_20 I had already tried that. The "Headset" disappears, but I still cannot connect the "Headphones":

qQSFnoH.png

EkFvDsf.png

I even tried to manually install the A2DP driver:

fHFJdbX.png

Nothing works. I think I am going to give up.

Thank you a lot for your time.