Is there a detailed monitoring log I can view beyond windows 10 event log for random crashing?

lonlonmilklover

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
Early last month, I built a Windows 10 Home PC for a friend, and he is experiencing the PC crashing at random when playing a game.

Sometimes it crashes after 10 minutes, sometimes after 3 hours.

The funny thing is, it was fine for the first month. He's getting this behavior just since this last week.

If there is no obvious entry in Event Log as to why it's crashing, is there a third party or more detailed logging / monitoring software that I might install to gain more details / hints as to what the cause is?

Many thanks!

Solution
Yes and it’s called resource monitor. It’s built into windows since windows seven. Use it while you’re playing and monitor the CPu disk drive memory and network

lonlonmilklover

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008

Many thanks! I've never actually used resource monitor, as I've lucked out over the years with my gaming PCs not having issues - of course it's when I build one for somebody else they have issues :D

hey, if you really want to check out something slick, look at Process Lasso. I was so impressed, and it told me who was causing lags and solved issues, I bought pro. but there is a free version you can try. it will show you what is bottlenecking and and auto restrain it and manage the power settings better for highest performance

https://bitsum.com/

my tiny A6 thinks it's a Ferrari now with it. it is very nice. system is always responsive, and you can mark games and apps as top priority if you want. I set vmware for highest priority of course