Is there a device specifically for inputting our thoughts?

godparticle080

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
I use laptop to type my thoughts in OneNote. I don't use paper book because of the following reasons:

* I can't cut and paste the same once typed text into other place (as I need to do this certain times, flexibility is needed), where it is easy to look and think on related thoughts.
* Typed text seems to be uniform in clarity of shape.
* Typed text can be searched.

But, laptop is the problem, because of the following reasons:

* Laptop can't run longer time as like book. If a laptop device with longer battery life, as like the present e-readers, is produced, it will allow using it quickly for note-taking, similar to book.
* Laptop needs to be started to use it, but book need not be.
* Laptop seems to have other abilities than only note taking, this seems to increase maintenance (replacing fan, display, etc) and its cost.
* Even if I am using laptop, for typing, other programs seem to be using its resources.

Are there devices similar to Microsoft Surface, with writing tool, meant only for note taking and not for any other purpose, to reduce the device cost and durability of the device, similar to e-reader device's focus on reading purpose?

I don't have experience with Chromebooks, but they seem to not have desktop versions of Microsoft Office; I don't know why Chromebooks, still without offline version of Office, is used in schools. If a device with offline versions of note taking software like OneNote, meant only for note taking/typing thoughts is produced, this may get used by many schools, colleges, and everyone who writes or keeps books.

Modern laptops might be powerful to eliminate problems, but if a device meant for only writing thoughts is produced, this might get even powerful. Is there such a device now, or is it to be produced?

Solution
Unfortunately, what you're looking for doesn't exist. There were some attempts over the past 5 or 6 years to create a note taking only device. But, these mostly focused on a tablet style device to convert handwriting to text. It doesn't look like any of these came to market. Consequently, what is available are iPad and Android tablets. These meet your instant on and battery life requirements.

Next is the note taking software. The big two are OneNote and EverNote, but there are many others (https://zapier.com/blog/best-note-taking-apps/). Over my 30+ years in electronics and software, there's always some level of compromise or redesign of your workflow is needed no matter which software you choose. The convenience we have now is that...
I think a cheap Android tablet would work. It's instant on, long battery life and you can install Onenote and other MS Office software. You can also sync your OneNote between your laptop and the tablet. Add a bluetooth keyboard or a case with a built-in bluetooth keyboard and you're all set.

godparticle080

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017

Thank you for the reply. OneNote in android seem to be not having all the features.

Screen size of most android tablets seem to be small, but I can search for large one. However, OneNote will not allow me use all the features. I don't want to compromise.

Unfortunately, what you're looking for doesn't exist. There were some attempts over the past 5 or 6 years to create a note taking only device. But, these mostly focused on a tablet style device to convert handwriting to text. It doesn't look like any of these came to market. Consequently, what is available are iPad and Android tablets. These meet your instant on and battery life requirements.

Next is the note taking software. The big two are OneNote and EverNote, but there are many others (https://zapier.com/blog/best-note-taking-apps/). Over my 30+ years in electronics and software, there's always some level of compromise or redesign of your workflow is needed no matter which software you choose. The convenience we have now is that many of these apps work on multiple devices and sync together. So, you may need to think of the tablet as a quick note capture device (or a smartphone, too). Then, your more serious working with your notes is done on your laptop. Just some ideas for you to think about how to use available technology.

Solution