Question Is there a device that allows copying one SATA drive to two others without using a PC?

Involute

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Just as it says in the title. I'm gearing up to shoot a lot of video for the first time and I'd like to use one SSD (drive 1) to record straight from the camera, one (drive 2) to copy drive 1 to at the end of the day, and one (drive 3) to backup drive 2. Of course, I could copy drive 1 to drive 2 via a PC and then repeat for drive 3, but it would be faster if I could copy 1 to 2 and 3 simultaneously. Better still would be to do it independently of the PC so all the copying doesn't bog it down for doing other things. Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
There are some dock stations that will do a clone from A to B all by itself.
Never used one, so can't comment on the functionality. But they do exist.

From the PC, copying to 2 drives at the same time is faster than doing 1 at a time.
A good USB hub, copy...

How will these drives be connected?
How much data are you looking to copy daily?

Involute

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
There are some dock stations that will do a clone from A to B all by itself.
Never used one, so can't comment on the functionality. But they do exist.

From the PC, copying to 2 drives at the same time is faster than doing 1 at a time.
A good USB hub, copy...

How will these drives be connected?
How much data are you looking to copy daily?
Thanks for the reply. I'll be backing up about 2TB/drive/day. Didn't think of a hub, so that would handle the two drives simultaneously (my laptop only has two USB 3.0 ports). Think I'll still look into a cloning station, out of curiosity.

TRENDING THREADS