[SOLVED] Is there a device that will BOOST/AMPLIFY an Optimum WiFi Hotspot Signal?

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Hi all.

I have Optimum Internet which means I also have access to Optimum WiFi hotspots which are included with my Internet plan.

I'm in a place where I'm able to connect to a relatively weak Optimum WiFI hotspot, but I have to put my laptop right up against the window to do so (and I also have to open the window or it won't appear on my laptop's list of available WiFi networks).

I want to be able to use this Optimum WiFi hotspot all over the place where I'm currently located (a house). Ideally, I would like to be able to use the Optimum WiFi hotspot upstairs and downstairs with no issues in speed or connectivity.

Is there a device that I can buy from a store like Amazon/Wal-Mart/Best Buy/etc. that will BOOST/AMPLIFY this Optimum WiFi signal so that I will be able to use this Optimum WiFi hotspot as I mentioned above? Can anyone name any specific devices that would work for this?

Thank you for any help you can provide with this issue.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I can't use a router because there is no router in the place where I'm currently located. I would really like to make use of the Optimum WiFi hotspot here though - I just need a device to amplify/boost the signal.
A directional WIFI bridge might provide what you need. You would mount it in a window or outdoors pointed toward the strongest signal. The WIFI bridge will convert the outdoor WIFI to an ethernet cable. You can test if this improves your networking by connecting directly to the ethernet cable. If it does, then you could put a WIFI access point indoors to provide local WIFI. It is probably $100 to $150 depending on the hardware you choose.
Not really since you generally need access to the remote end to do it really well.

What might work is to use a unit outside where the signal is stronger and bring it inside with a cable and use a AP to retransmit the signal.

What you want is a outdoor bridge from a company like ubiquiti and then any router running as a AP internally.

The big catch to doing this is the security on the hotspot. Using a system like this would allow you to connect to their hotspot and then give everyone near you internet access so the hotspot company only gets payment from 1 person.

It all depends how hard they want to prevent you from using something other than just a end client. This is also the reason I would recommend a bridge unit from ubiquiti because they can run in other mode rather than simple bridge mode so give you the best chance.

Which exact outdoor bridge unit you use will depend on the hotspot and which signals you get the strongest now.

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Why use a hotspot and not a wifi signal from your router?
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I can't use a router because there is no router in the place where I'm currently located. I would really like to make use of the Optimum WiFi hotspot here though - I just need a device to amplify/boost the signal.

kanewolf

Titan
A directional WIFI bridge might provide what you need. You would mount it in a window or outdoors pointed toward the strongest signal. The WIFI bridge will convert the outdoor WIFI to an ethernet cable. You can test if this improves your networking by connecting directly to the ethernet cable. If it does, then you could put a WIFI access point indoors to provide local WIFI. It is probably $100 to $150 depending on the hardware you choose.

Reactions: 13thmonkey
Solution