• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Is there a difference between pci-e and and vga

Jan 11, 2020
I started building my first computer. The graphics card requires 2x 8pin power connectors. If I use 2 Vga cords I get no picture and the monitor stays black. If I use my pci-e with a 8pin and 6 pin. I get a picture. If I use the pcie and the vga I get no picture. I don’t want to use the just the pcie because I don’t want to risk anything because I’m missing 2 pins. Why does this happen? What could I do? Should I just use the pci-e? Note: the graphics card does light up.

bioax

Upstanding
Nov 30, 2019
I started building my first computer. The graphics card requires 2x 8pin power connectors. If I use 2 Vga cords I get no picture and the monitor stays black. If I use my pci-e with a 8pin and 6 pin. I get a picture. If I use the pcie and the vga I get no picture. I don’t want to use the just the pcie because I don’t want to risk anything because I’m missing 2 pins. Why does this happen? What could I do? Should I just use the pci-e? Note: the graphics card does light up.
First of all, vga isn't a power connector, it is a data cable that gives your monitor display.
I believe it should be safe to use the 8-pin and 6-pin, but you may get a decrease in performance or thermals (don't take my word on this). If you really want to be safe, just get a new psu that has 2 8 pin pcie cables.

Jan 11, 2020
First of all, vga isn't a power connector, it is a data cable that gives your monitor display.
I believe it should be safe to use the 8-pin and 6-pin, but you may get a decrease in performance or thermals (don't take my word on this). If you really want to be safe, just get a new psu that has 2 8 pin pcie cables.
[/QUOTE

DSzymborski

Champion
Are you sure you're not looking at the end of the cable that goes into the power supply itself, which is sometimes labled VGA?

The exact PSU would be a big help here. Otherwise, we're guessing about cables we can't possibly see.

Nemesia

Estimable
Are you sure you're not looking at the end of the cable that goes into the power supply itself, which is sometimes labled VGA?

The exact PSU would be a big help here. Otherwise, we're guessing about cables we can't possibly see.
I can find threads about VGA cables on the PSU which act like the same as a PCIE cable but the threads are from 2014. So this must be an old PSU.

ASK THE COMMUNITY