Question Is There A Disadvantage to Loading Windows and Games on The Same Drive?

Feb 18, 2023
I'm installing Windows fresh onto an Evo970 2T. That's more than enough for Windows, and more than enough for the 2-3 games I keep on my system. I've read you shouldn't load Windows onto the same drive as your games drive for two main reasons. One, if you have to wipe Windows, it doesn't smoke your games, and vice versa. Two, it can decrease performance. I tried finding info here covering this but I couldn't. Are these reasons enought to definitely not want to install games on the same drive as Windows?

USAFRet

Titan
There is no performance issue either way.

Install all on one drive, or OS and applications on one, and other stuff on a different drive:
Opinions differ.
There is no One True Way.

Some people like the simplicity of a single large drive.

Others, like me, have the OS and applications on one drive, other things, incl games, on other physical drives.

Reactions: Schleppy_1
Feb 18, 2023
Thanks, that makes sense. I like the simplicity of a single large drive. In my 25 years of PC gaming, I've never had Windows crash requiring a re-install. Games either. I suppose it could be luck of the draw, but it doesn't seem like a common occurance.