Question Is there a faster app to make a disk image of an Apple boot drive?

tmpc1066

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2016
I use both Macs and PCs, and for backup purposes, create disk images of the internal boot drives of both computers. The Macs use about 125.GB of data of their 1.TB SSDs, the PCs about 175.GB of their 500.GB SSDs. I use Macrium Reflect for the PCs, and Apple's own Disk Utility for the Macs. In both cases, the image is being saved to an external HDD via USB 3.

So, my problem is that the PCs will make their disk images in about 30 minutes, but the Mac takes about 1.5 hours. Can anyone explain to me why Apple's Disk Utility is so slow? And, do you know of a faster app that I could use to speed this process up on the Mac?

svedel77

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
I've always been using "Carbon Copy Cloner". It's not free, but quality costs (but it's not expensive).

But remark nowadays, that "Carbon Copy Cloner" can no longer make bootable backups. This is because of Apples insane security, that only Apple knows how to use. Therefore, for bootable backups/disk images, you can use Apples own "Time machine". Make a USB drive, and connect it. Say "YES" when your mac ask if it should use the new drive for Time Machine. Then force a full Time Machine backup, through Time Machine app. And then disconnect the USB drive.

TRENDING THREADS