Is there a fix for the side by side configuration issue on windows 10?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I have had this error come up on two occasions. One while trying to install Logitech setpoint. The other while trying to run MSI Afterburner. All the articles I have read on this matter say it is related to the Microsoft Visual C++. So far I have gone to add/remove programs and used the repair option on both entries of Visual C++2015. I have also downloaded the Visual C++ from 2013 and 2012. It will not let me install the 2010 and 2008 versions. I also enabled .net runtime. None of these fixed the issue.

I have now called Microsoft tech support and they took remote control of my computer. He said there are registry errors and that I would need to do a fresh install. I just installed Windows 10 Pro 64 bit yesterday on a brand new build. Not sure how it could be screwed up already. There is no proven solution on the internet as to how to fix this problem. Need help before wiping out 12 hours of getting my new computer set up to my liking.

Update

I have just reinstalled Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with the flash drive I bought from the Microsoft store. Not a clean install. The one where it retains your files and apps. The problem persists.

Before I reinstalled windows the Microsoft tech ran sfc /scannow. It found multiple errors that it could not correct. I just ran it again after the reinstallation and now there are no errors. The registry was obviously not the problem.

From what I read on multiple websites the fix that seems to work for most people is downloading Microsoft Visual C++ 2008. I don't understand why I can't download that. It fails every time.

Update and SOLUTION

I found an article with a fix that actually worked for me and allowed me to download the visual C++ 2008. This solved my problem and MSI afterburner is now opening without the side by side error.

Rename the folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18 to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18_old

You have to check the box to show hidden files since program data is hidden.

I hope this helps anyone else with the problem since it seems to date back over multiple years and operating systems.

bar32491

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

So im having this EXACT same issue with afterburner on my new PC, i'm running Win 10 64 Bit and i can't install C++ 2008 for nothin :( Please help me. Or post that article link haha

P.S.
Followed your instructions the best i could... not sure where to change the hidden files and i located the file to change the name as well

Jul 2, 2019
I hope this might help. I disabled the windows module installer services(since it is a service run together with windows update service )so when I enabled back the service and reinstall the program that cause side by side error. The program run like normal with no error. So my conclusion is that windows module installer service is important and must let it running and don't disable it again. Oh and the program taht i had the error was msi afterburner too.