[SOLVED] Is there a free way to transfer data from one HDD to another ?

dodgerfan4eva

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2015
So, I'm upgrade my PC MB,GPU and of course HDD. Is there a way to transfer the data from the old one to the new one ? Windows is on a separate SSD so that wouldn't be an issue. That on the HDD is just steam and other gaming clients like bnet, origin and the game i have on those clients. Any advise would be great thanks!

Solution
You can just move your entire Steam and other game folders from one drive to the other. You may have to point your game launchers to the new location though unless or until you give the new drive the same drive letter after moving them.
You can just move your entire Steam and other game folders from one drive to the other. You may have to point your game launchers to the new location though unless or until you give the new drive the same drive letter after moving them.

Solution
What do you mean starting from scratch?

If connecting the new drive and copying the contents of the old drive to the new one is too much work, I'm not sure what to tell you. There is no way to get data from one drive to another without doing SOMETHING to make that happen.

I'm totally not understanding what you mean by "starting from scratch" because it couldn't actually be any simpler than copying everything from one drive to the other and then either telling your game launcher where the files are at now when you fire them up for the first time, or else changing the drive letter of the new drive to the same drive letter that the old drive was so there is no need to modify the game launcher configuration at all. I don't know how the process could be any easier than that?

You said the OS wasn't involved since that is on a different drive, so this should not be a complicated process, at all.