Is there a giant lithium battery that I can attach solar panels to?

gizmo j

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
I was thinking of buying a giant lithium battery similar to what's found on electric vehicles(or maybe bigger) and use that so the solar panels would charge the battery during the day but would give power during the night.

Is this possible? And where would I find one?

I think you're asking this (or similar) question for third or fourth time, and you won't get any different answer: Each solar installation needs, in addition to panels, also a "charge controller", sized for both the panels and the batteries. In addition, you'll also need an inverter, to bring you back 110/220V usable by your appliances.

And again - you'll need plenty of panels if you want to charge / use more than a phone or tablet.

There are, but you're going to pay out the nose for them. I ran across them while shopping for new house batteries for my boat. Rumor (based on company spokesman statements at conventions) was that it was going to be priced around $1000-$1200 per battery. That was over a year ago, so it's probably for sale somewhere. A Trojan dealer should be able to get you actual pricing. (Trojan is the #1 battery brand for golf cart and PV solar installations).

https://www.trojanbattery.com/trillium/

MERGED QUESTION
Question from gizmo j : "Can you attach solar panels to an electric RV and use that to charge the engine battery?"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from gizmo j : "Can you use a gas powered generator to charge the engine battery of a electric RV?"

USAFRet

Titan

Z7YOrZJ.png

Traditionally, this is done with lead acid batteries because they're cheaper.

It's usually referred to as 'off grid'.

Beware that you will need to spend a lot to make it work reliably, and do quite careful measurement and planning.

You will also likely need an electrician and electrical inspector to do the work and inspect it.