[SOLVED] Is there a limit to the number of peripherals that can be attached to a laptop?

Aug 5, 2019
I was wondering if there's a limit to the number of peripherals that can be connected to a plugged in laptop, in terms of power consumption. So, to be more specific, I have an external monitor, I have an external mouse and now I am planning on getting an external keyboard, so that I can set my laptop aside and use it with the lid closed, only powering the listed peripherals. My concern is whether or not attaching so many things to it can be somehow bad for the laptop or the AC itself (I am of course only going to have it plugged in when I use it like this). I am thinking this mostly because the keyboard I'm planning to get is going to be backlit as well and I'm not sure how that would reflect on my system.
My laptop is Asus X751LX and the AC this model uses is AC100-240V, 1.5A.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
It's only external USB devices you may have trouble with as far as sufficient power is concerned, as there's only so much power available at each port. The problem doesn't usually arise until you start plugging portable hard drives in since they have a relatively high power draw compared to, say, a USB mouse.

When the problem arises you'll know because you'll hear the "device connect/disconnect" sounds continuously.
Should you have that problem you can easily fix it by using a mains-powered USB hub & plugging some of your USB devices in to that.
It's only external USB devices you may have trouble with as far as sufficient power is concerned, as there's only so much power available at each port. The problem doesn't usually arise until you start plugging portable hard drives in since they have a relatively high power draw compared to, say, a USB mouse.

When the problem arises you'll know because you'll hear the "device connect/disconnect" sounds continuously.
Should you have that problem you can easily fix it by using a mains-powered USB hub & plugging some of your USB devices in to that.

Reactions: Noobie11
Solution
Aug 5, 2019

Thank u for the detailed explanation!

TRENDING THREADS