Question Is there a massive difference in manual overclock vs docp

Jan 14, 2020
so for hours i tried to overclock my ram on asus 470f, ryzen 3600 and corsair vengeance lpx 16gb 3200mhz. So finally i decided to use the DOCP setting and it set my memory to 3200 vs 2133 and and its timings. i then used the ez option for cpu to get it to 4.0 ghz. Is this obviously better than what it had a default, and should i be trying to get them to where they need to be per ryzen dram calculator? Is there a massive difference?

Lately not thaaat much, but it used to be, i mean, my 4770k could only reach 4.0 wich genie overclocking wich is what we had back then, i managed 4.5ghz with even lower volts, wich is whats becoming trending on OC nowadays, see, auto OC will always give more juice than what your rig needs, often too much, manualy you can find the redline and keep your temps cool and smooth running, well, and any extra 100mhz is still extra 100mhz, you wont notice anything on the usual daily use but , idk, if compressing a video file there will be a good 40 seconds differente depending on the overall time :D

so for hours i tried to overclock my ram on asus 470f, ryzen 3600 and corsair vengeance lpx 16gb 3200mhz. So finally i decided to use the DOCP setting and it set my memory to 3200 vs 2133 and and its timings. i then used the ez option for cpu to get it to 4.0 ghz. Is this obviously better than what it had a default, and should i be trying to get them to where they need to be per ryzen dram calculator? Is there a massive difference?

Ideally yes you can tweak some pretty solid gains from ram timings on Ryzen...but just plugging in 3600mhz cas 16 ram will get you 95% of the way there and push the IF speed to 1800mhz which will be ideal. It really comes down to how much time you want to invest in ram timings to support a particular application that will benefit.