Is there a need to reinstall windows 10 changing to z370 from 270?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
I am contemplating changing to a 8700k with a z370 motherboard from same manufacturer from the same series. From gigabyte z270 auros gaming 7 to a z370 auros gaming 7. Can i get away without doing a fresh reinstall of windows 10?

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
So I have more information on this topic, I could probably read through these comments to ensure that it hasn't been mentioned already but alas, I am but a lazy pleb. Anyway, here goes:

If you change your motherboard, your windows 10 will deactivate. No if's and's or but's about it.

If you own a retail copy of windows 10 then you can contact windows, inform them of the change, and they will deactivate your old motherboard and reactivate your key with your new board.

If you own an OEM copy (meaning you purchased from a 3rd party CD key retailer in most cases) You will have to purchase another key. Windows will not let you switch.

USAFRet

Titan

Post v1607, the previous hard line between OEM and Retail has blurred to the point of non existence.

About the only case where you can't transfer is a preinstalled OEM from one of the major retailers.
If you had a previous Win 7 OEM and Upgraded that to Win 10, that Upgrade does away with the original OEMness of the 7 license. It can be transferred to new hardware.
If it is a Win 10 that you purchased and installed, you can transfer it to new hardware.

And unless things go wrong, you do NOT have to call MS.
You do it directly in the Activation Troubleshooter.

Read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
When I called Windows that is what they told me. They said that purchasing an OEM key from a 3rd party reseller basically gives you windows 10, but only for one motherboard, and that once it's attached, they won't change it over for you. They will change over a retail key though.

I wonder why he told me that if they actually will change it for you.

I don't know, either way. I spent $68 and bought 2 new keys (one for the wife, and one for myself) and now I got both PC's are working.

USAFRet

Titan

Couple of months ago, I went through this with another member.
The MS rep he talked to said the same thing...it could NOT be transferred.

Not until it went through 2 levels of Supervisor did they realize their mistake.
Direct text from MS
Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

...says absolutely nothing about OEM or otherwise. If you can link that license to your MS account, you can transfer it.

Often, changes to policy and procedures does not make it down to the Level 1 helpdesk guy. They are still running on 4 year old procedures.

Things have changed.

They aren't fighting anybody hard. It's just that the people taking your calls are in some call center somewhere, who don't have a clue about CURRENT policy regarding hardware changes and like USAFRet said, are operating under old guidelines. So far, I've not had to actually call MS after a hardware change. It's either changed automatically by logging in via attached MS account or has activated as soon as I've input the license key from the version of Windows that the system was upgraded FROM.

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
Well, the last attempt to change motherboard and cpu, my previous windows 10 was upgraded from windows 7. I did not linked it to the Microsoft account and as such I was not able to activate it. I end up buying a new retail version of windows 10. I make sure I linked it correctly to the Microsoft account. With my change of mobo and cpu from a z270 to a z370, I was able to boot straight into windows 10 without issues. Windows 10 was automatically activated on first bootup. After using for a while, I was prompted to re sign in to micrfosoft account again. That's it. There was nothing else I need except updating some utilities and apps pertinent to the new motherboard.. No need to contact Microsoft or anyone! It was a real relief as I hate to do a reinstall. Thanks for all the feedback and I hope my experience helps clear some doubts. Cheers

USAFRet

Titan

That's not a major chipset change, so the possibilities are good that it would have worked.

My recent system changes:
Pentium G840 -> i3-8100 and their relevant motherboards - No reinstall needed. Booted right up
i5-3570k and Gigabyte z77 -> i7-4790k and ASRock Z97 - Full reinstall needed.

In both cases, the Win 10 license transferred no problem.

As said, there are 3 possibilities:
1. It boots up just fine
2. It fails completely
3. It boots up, but you chase little issues for weeks.

I've seen all 3.

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
I say ok too soon! I discovered that for the any of the dual usb3 port on back and front panel, only one is working. If I attempt to move files from a hdd to another hdd across different sets of usb3 port, system will hang . Do a full reinstall using usb media and everything working fine now. Windows 10 reactivate automatically. It was a real pain but I guess there is no shortcut!

DSzymborski

Titan

That's why we say best practice! Even when things work, there can be a nagging problem you only discover down the road. A stitch in time saves nine! I'm very glad the reinstall resolved your issue.

USAFRet

Titan

#3 strikes again!