Question Is there a point in buying HDMI 2.1 4K monitors for PS5 when most games are capped at 60fps anyway?

Sep 1, 2021
Hello! Looking to buy a monitor for my PS5 and the HDMI 2.1 monitors I see costs an arm an a leg - will I even utilize the HDMI 2.1 features (with 120hz) on my PS5 or am I better off with buying the 4K monitors with 60hz? For reference, I am looking at the Acer Nitro 28" HDMI 2.1 monitor - but also looking for suggestions, if other non-HDMI 2.1 monitors are more than sufficient for console gaming.

For those with a 4K monitor with HDMI 2.0/60fps, how is your experience and the image quality with PS5?

Thanks in advance! :)

Sep 1, 2021
2.1 is also needed for adaptive sync so even at 60fps it should still be better than 2.0 without adaptive sync. If it is beneficial enough to pay more for the monitor then that is up to you.

Right, thanks for that. Sorry, if my question seems ignorant. I was genuinely interested to know if 2.1's worth it.

Hdmi 2.1 monitor is better than 2.0, you will get better transfer speed with more flexibility of connectivity, but before that you have to choose the right monitor,
Well given the recent renaming of HDMI2.0 to 2.1 it’s going to be a whole lot worse differentiating between monitors. Effectively what we knew as 2.1 does not exist so with new monitors and equipment we can’t just say 2.1 gives x features.

Endre

Reputable
Hello! Looking to buy a monitor for my PS5 and the HDMI 2.1 monitors I see costs an arm an a leg - will I even utilize the HDMI 2.1 features (with 120hz) on my PS5 or am I better off with buying the 4K monitors with 60hz? For reference, I am looking at the Acer Nitro 28" HDMI 2.1 monitor - but also looking for suggestions, if other non-HDMI 2.1 monitors are more than sufficient for console gaming.

For those with a 4K monitor with HDMI 2.0/60fps, how is your experience and the image quality with PS5?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hello!

First of all, HDMI 2.0 no longer exists, as it has been re-branded as HDMI 2.1!
So, there are different types of HDMI 2.1 monitors now!

Secondly, is your PS5 able of delivering more than 60FPS at 4K?
If not, then there’s no point to invest in a high refresh rate monitor.

(That’s my opinion).