Question Is there a potential bottleneck in my computer?

Mar 15, 2021
Cougar MX330 Windowed Mid-Tower ATX Case

Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo CPU Cooler - Red Top Cover

MSI Z390-A PRO LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 CL14 2400MHz Memory Black

Sapphire Radeon RX 580 NITRO+ OC 8GB Video Card

Thermaltake Toughpower 650W 80+ Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply

Kingston SSDNow A400 480GB 2.5" SATA III SSD SA400S37/480G

Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB BarraCuda 3.5" SATA3 Desktop Hard Drive

Windows 10 Home 64-bit OEM DVD

Deepcool RGB 350 Colour LED Strip Magnetic Lighting Kit With Remote

Intel Core i5 9600K Hexa Core LGA 1151 3.70GHz Unlocked CPU Processor

ASUS PCE-AC56 Wireless AC1300 Dual-Band PCI-E Adapter

I use a 55" 60hz 4k tv as my monitor is that a major problem ? Ive been looking into monitors and im not sure what to get yet

Main issue im having with this set up is random freezing/lag moments, say i try to minimize my game and it'll take about 10 to 20 seconds before returning to the desktop screen
Or i try to open start menu and it takes about 10 to 20 seconds to open, if not longer at times.

Once im in a game everything seems to run fine but switching too many windows at the same time, can lag/freeze my computer or certain programs at the time, until it comes back a few moments later

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
I use a 49" tv as a monitor and have no problemes. Up your ram multipleir to 26,66. It looks to me your ram is slow. Is your ram in correct slots to run in daul channel mode?

Is your 9600k overclocked?

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I was expecting the RX 580 to be the weak link, especially since you play at 4K.....but your issue sounds more like bad HDD/SSD speed. I've had failing HDDs exhibit the same symptoms (general sluggishness when switching or firing up programs). Unstable RAM OC can also do that, but I see you're not overclocking it. 2666Mhz should be plenty for simple tasks such as switching programs when gaming. I know that from experience (look at my sig).

Reactions: Foolsfortea
Mar 15, 2021
I was expecting the RX 580 to be the weak link, especially since you play at 4K.....but your issue sounds more like bad HDD/SSD speed. I've had failing HDDs exhibit the same symptoms (general sluggishness when switching or firing up programs). Unstable RAM OC can also do that, but I see you're not overclocking it. 2666Mhz should be plenty for simple tasks such as switching programs when gaming. I know that from experience (look at my sig).
Ive been having this problem since i got the computer built new
Would that help narrow it down or would it still probably be hdd/ssd or unstable ram

Guess ill have to make a trip to the store!

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Ive been having this problem since i got the computer built new
Would that help narrow it down or would it still probably be hdd/ssd or unstable ram

Guess ill have to make a trip to the store!
Highly unlikely for bad storage drive, unless you really got unlucky back then. In my experience, the unstable RAM OC shows the same sluggishness only when the usage exceeds one stick (probably better binned than the other). But even then, that's when I'm asking an extra 25% of the RAM speed. Mind that at 1.35V, I'm running it just before the edge of stability since the stock specs (no XMP support) is 2666Mhz CL19....I now run it at 3200Mhz CL17, any tighter and OCCT will throw errors near the 25 minute mark.
Yours is stock, so unlikely to have the same root cause as mine. If I were you, I'd try moving the Windows and apps to another known good drive (SSD preferable, but any modern HDDs will do) and see how it goes.

Mar 30, 2021
get an asus monitor. 165/144hz are the best options(144hz is better cuz barely any difference in performance. only in price.) also ur ram is wayy too slow. buy some 3200mhz or 3600mhz. also you might not be using ur rams fun attentional if u haven't ever oced it.

Mar 15, 2021
get an asus monitor. 165/144hz are the best options(144hz is better cuz barely any difference in performance. only in price.) also ur ram is wayy too slow. buy some 3200mhz or 3600mhz. also you might not be using ur rams fun attentional if u haven't ever oced it.
What i failed to highlight as well is that the freezing problem im getting happens under miniscule load too, no games open, open say control panel and documents at the same time or whilst one of the opposite is open and bam it freezes my computer, bout 10 seconds later its back and working smooth
This seems to happen with everything in otherwords