Is there a problem with my graphics card?

charizant

Reputable
May 2, 2014
Despite my hours of searching I haven't found a solution.

I've recently installed a GTX 660 into my GA-M55plus-S3G REV:1.2 Motherboard. I'm pretty sure my corsair GS700 can handle that Graphics Card, motherboard, and 1 HDD.

My problem is, after I installed it, it worked for a few moments, then it froze completely. After a reboot the graphics card no longer works, as in, fan runs, yet no image is displayed on the screen, however the on board graphics kicks in and . Any thoughts and information will help. Running Windows 7 64 bit.

Solution
Yes, it does seem like its the motherboard. But the easiest way to test is to try the GPU in a different system, but you have said you cant. Local comeputer shows would probably help.....

charizant

Reputable
May 2, 2014

Well, two things i've tried:
remove, install, power on (acts it doesn't exist)
remove, power on, install, power on (continues to act it doesn't exist)

charizant

Reputable
May 2, 2014

Bios doesn't show it, and, sadly, no. Could it be it's not detecting the monitor out something? The cable is working

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Was the Graphics card pretty dusty? How does the PCIe connector look (on the graphics card, and on the motherboard?).

Sometimes the contacts on the card can get oxidized / corroded. You can get contact cleaner or use a CLEAN pink pencil eraser to gently clean the contacts. (they should turn a brighter color). Make sure all eraser shavings are removed before re-installing.

If the contacts are good and you've tried everything (GPU in another computer, resetting the bios, etc) it might have died from the traces expanding and contracting (then breaking) due to age. Any chance it has a warranty still?

charizant

Reputable
May 2, 2014

It all looks okay, I tried the eraser thing but it made no difference.

charizant

Reputable
May 2, 2014

To get them out to where I'm at would cost more than getting a new PC. I've been informed it may be the motherboard, any way I can check that?

charizant

Reputable
May 2, 2014

Last one gave a black screen, so I got a new one with the same problem, so, it has to be the motherboard, then, right?