Question Is there a program or any way to check how long your ssd, hdd, and/or external hdds will last?

UKTone

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
Mainly my SSD since that's the most important. I don't really understand, i think the lifespan of ssds are finite and based on writes or cycles. So does that mean copying files to the drive, deleting things, shutting the computer down, or what lowers the lifespan? I have a 250gb ssd, the information in my signature below is still up to date information.

"Samsung 850 PRO with 1TB then results in: This SSD will probably last incredible 343 years. This isn't a guarantee, but a good forecast. The warranty for the named SSD is ten years."

I hope there is a program that tells you since there's no telling how much has been written with anti viruses, windows update, installs, etc.

Thanks.

popatim

Titan
No person or program can tell you how long your drive has left. A brand new drive can die 5 seconds after turning on the pc or a 10 year old drive can last 5 more years. This is why important data always needs to be backed up; you cannot trust a drive to not fail. They always fail and you often have no idea when it's going to happen.

Reactions: USAFRet

TRENDING THREADS